'83 GL1100i smoking - after warmup!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DrummingAncient
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

'83 GL1100i smoking - after warmup!

Postby DrummingAncient » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:35 pm

So young, and smoking already:
I've got a 1983 GL1100i that sat for a few years (last ran about 2013), stored, in a garage, level, on a motorcycle support jack, turned over regularly to oil pressure, but not started. Just 26,000(ish) miles on the odometer.

I went through a single-carb conversion, and just got it running yesterday. Starts/runs well (need a little work still on the conversion, but it starts/runs/idles smooth on the first click of the starter and does not backfire). It does not overheat. All the cylinders appear to be firing well.

The oil level is midway between the marks on the crankcase. I'm pretty sure the crankcase breather is operational.

It does not smoke when it starts or when it's cold. But once it warms up it gradually starts to smoke (blue - oil). A lot. Both banks.

Anybody out there want to lend an opinion? Anybody ever seen this?

Thanks,
DrummingAncient

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Re: '83 GL1100i smoking - after warmup!

Postby dwight007fchr » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:14 am

Drumming Ancient......Im surprised on one has replied yet to your question, as they are usually pretty fast to jump in. I also have a 83 GL1100 and it has 65k miles on it.....and she will sometimes smoke a bit right after cranking up, but it clears up real fast. So, I guess mine is just some oil leaking past the valve seals, and getting burned upon start up.....no big deal.

In your case, where it does not begin to smoke until she warms up is strange in my opinion. Could it be the oil thinning and getting past the piston rings and burning in the cylinder? Did you use any "fogging oil" or some type of oil in the pistons when you were storing the bike?

I guess you could do a compression test to see if you are loosing compression past the rings......also pull the plugs and see what they look like.

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Postby sportsfreaked » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:18 pm

That is a unique problem. Like Dwight said I would do a compression check to see what the cylinders are at. You probably know that they should all be equal in their numbers or with in 5 to 10 f each other. Oil has to be going past the seals in order to burn. It's possible you just need valve seals. If your compression check out then that's what I would suggest. Hopefully others will chime in and give their opinion. The plugs like Dwight said can tell you something as well. Pull them and see what they look like. Again they should all look the same. Let us know what you find out. Thanks.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

DrummingAncient
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby DrummingAncient » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:44 pm

All:
Thanks for the replies. Dwight wins the prize!

I had been squirting a little oil into the cylinders while it was in storage. After turning over, it had no where to go but down, where it sat until the bike was warm enough to burn it off.

It took about a half-hour (while I was watching the oil pressure, temp, and listening VERY CAREFULLY!!!) but it finally burned off and ran clean. Freaked me out for a bit, though...every fiber in my being said "Shut it off! Shut it off!"

Thanks for the responses. So far, so good...got some seals to replace and other checks, but it runs.

DA

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Postby dwight007fchr » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:57 pm

Drumming Ancient.......Hey, cool......I win the prize......now whats the prize? Maybe a gypsie dancing girl from Armenia, one that looks like ole Clinger of MASH in a dress smoking a Cuban siggar? Hey, maybe she will be fat enough to sit on the back of my GL1100 and keep the rear tire from spinning as I tighten the stator bolt. Ha ha.

Good to hear the burning oil issue is resolved.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”