Cool mornings = beautiful afternoons!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
lmaxfield
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Cool mornings = beautiful afternoons!

Postby lmaxfield » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:40 pm

I have been riding my '83 Aspencade to commute to work a few days a week this summer. Not a thrilling ride, but a ride's a ride and any time on the bike is well spent. I have been really looking forward to the fall as the temperature drops, making the ride home much more pleasant (I hate sitting in traffic in 100 degree temps). We are now getting mornings in the low 50s with afternoons in the 60s-70s - perfect riding for me. This is my first time in cold(ish) weather with this bike and I am trying to work out the starting ritual. It cranks and starts up fine, but does not want to idle immediately, often requiring 5 or 6 starts before it will slowly, begrudgingly start to idle and warm up. I have tried various positions on the choke and I know from other bikes that each has their own idiosyncrasies but I am wondering what you all find to work on your "bikes of a certain age." Full choke? Half choke? Any throttle? Time cranking? How long to warm up before you take off? I'm always able to get it going, so this isn't an emergency "I can't ride!" type of thread. Just trying to learn from the hive.

Thanks!
Lynn

lmaxfield

Re: Cool mornings = beautiful afternoons!

Postby lmaxfield » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:50 pm

So, judging by the number of responses, perhaps the better question would be: Does anyone else even have any difficulty getting their wing to start in cool weather(<55 f)? Perhaps I am just in need of some maintenance.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:18 am

lmaxfield wrote:I have been riding my '83 Aspencade to commute to work a few days a week this summer. Not a thrilling ride, but a ride's a ride and any time on the bike is well spent. I have been really looking forward to the fall as the temperature drops, making the ride home much more pleasant (I hate sitting in traffic in 100 degree temps). We are now getting mornings in the low 50s with afternoons in the 60s-70s - perfect riding for me. This is my first time in cold(ish) weather with this bike and I am trying to work out the starting ritual. It cranks and starts up fine, but does not want to idle immediately, often requiring 5 or 6 starts before it will slowly, begrudgingly start to idle and warm up. I have tried various positions on the choke and I know from other bikes that each has their own idiosyncrasies but I am wondering what you all find to work on your "bikes of a certain age." Full choke? Half choke? Any throttle? Time cranking? How long to warm up before you take off? I'm always able to get it going, so this isn't an emergency "I can't ride!" type of thread. Just trying to learn from the hive.

Thanks!
Lynn

Here in the UK we are having exactly the temperatures you mention. For my GL1000 I find that full choke, no throttle works fine. She starts after minimal cranking and then idles high (2500-3000). I back the choke off enough to drop the revs to 2000 then let her idle whilst I put my helmet on, then ride off, gradually backing the choke off over the first few hundred yards. Works for me (and Doris, as she's affectionately known!).
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

lmaxfield

Postby lmaxfield » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:24 pm

Here in the UK we are having exactly the temperatures you mention. For my GL1000 I find that full choke, no throttle works fine. She starts after minimal cranking and then idles high (2500-3000). I back the choke off enough to drop the revs to 2000 then let her idle whilst I put my helmet on, then ride off, gradually backing the choke off over the first few hundred yards. Works for me (and Doris, as she's affectionately known!).
Maz

Thanks, Maz. Doris's behavior (great name, btw) matches precisely how my bike responds when temps are in the 60-70f range (15-20c). Below that, and I start having trouble. My old Honda dirt bikes (XR250 and XR400) used to have the same kind of aversion to colder temps, but I could usually give a bit of throttle and get them to jump to life. The GL1100 isn't quite so quick to respond that way. Might be time to get it looked at. Thanks for the response and happy riding!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:19 pm

lmaxfield wrote:So, judging by the number of responses, perhaps the better question would be: Does anyone else even have any difficulty getting their wing to start in cool weather(<55 f)? Perhaps I am just in need of some maintenance.

I never had problems starting my GL1100 in cold weather. Keep in mind that the available current from a battery declines with temperature, so if your battery is weak to start with, cold weather could definitely cause starting issues that might not show up in warmer weather.

lmaxfield

Postby lmaxfield » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Thank you, Admin. It is a new battery last month and the cranking is fine. It will fire right away with the press of the starter button, it's just that once it fires, it wants to die even with full choke. It will start and die within 4 or 5 strokes. If I repeat that a few times, it eventually will stay running, but definitely not like it does in warmer weather.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:04 am

Lynn, I think you just have a cold-blooded GL like Maz and me, and probably thousands of others. They need a bit of gentle prodding at times, especially in colder weather. I park my '78 GL out in the shed all winter, and in the spring on it's first start-up, a spray shot of Quik-Start in the air intake helps a lot. It usually takes a half dozen starting attempts, sometimes more, before it springs to life. But this is only after sitting out there freezing all winter. It's like a drowsy bear coming out of hibernation. After that, it's good to go for the whole season.
When the temperature starts to drop in the fall, and if I'm riding every day or two, it starts very well. But if I need to leave it in the shed for a week or more, it strains to get running when I finally do have a good riding day. I have to treat it very gently to coax it to co-operate.
Under any condition where I'm riding every day or two, or three, I give it a full choke and no throttle. It starts on the first push of the start button. I find that if I give it any throttle, it tends to flood a bit, and that makes it harder to start. Then it revs at 2500 to 3000, and I leave it there for a few seconds. Then I back-off the choke enough to drop the revs to about 2000. I leave it running like that for a couple of minutes, and then back off the choke again, just enough to lower the revs to 1100, and I ride away. Once everything is warmed right up, I back the choke right off, and I'm gone.

Dave
"Assume Nothing"

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Postby dwight007fchr » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:26 pm

Imaxfield.......I am usually pretty fortunate with my 83 GL1100 Interstate.....if it was sitting for less than 2 weeks, she will fire up in 1 second. I run non-ethanol with some Marvel Mystery Oil and stabil added in a full tank for winter. Before starting, I like to have her on the center stand (maybe psycological, but in my mind I see more gas going to the left hand carbs if leaning on the kick stand). I use full choke and no throttle. When she fires-up, I very slowly let off on the choke and then begin giving a small bit of throttle. I will lock in the throttle lock to ensure she doesnt idle below 1200 for a couple minutes. Sure, she smokes a bit on start up, just belching out some of the oil that sneaked past the valve seals while she was sitting.

If you have not had the carbs off in a long time, it could just be the jets beginning to clog up a bit with grime. Another trick you may want to try is to turn off your fuel tank, and then unplug the fuel line from the tank and rig-up a half gallon jug with fresh gas and a large dose of SeaFoam (maybe half n half, unless others chime in and say differently). If you drill a hole in the top for the gas line, be sure to also drill a small 1/8 hole for air to enter as the engine is sucking out the fuel. You could run that brew at various RPMs until the jug is empty, and then just let the mixture sit in the carbs over the winter.

If I let my Interstate sit for a couple months, I will usually pull the air filter off and spray a bit of gas down into the box, and also on the inside of the air filter. Then put the filter back on, and she will typically start up in a couple seconds. If she dies before a good supply of gas gets up to the bowls, I repeat the process and crank again. Id rather do that than wear out my starter with unnecessary cranking. I dont like to use starter fluid unless nothing else works.

lmaxfield

Postby lmaxfield » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks everybody. Good to know that I am not the only one with a bit of a stubborn starter. I inherited this bike from my dad last spring, but he hadn't ridden it much in a year and then it sat until this spring when I could go pick it up. Long story short, I would not be surprised at all if the carbs needed a little work. I am running non-ethenol gas and a few ounces of seafoam in it right now and it seems to have helped with gas mileage, but perhaps I have a winter project with the carbs.

I do think I found one of the problems with the start this morning. It was 55 when I went out this morning and I pulled the choke to full then happened to notice that it slowly drifted back to about half position before I could get to the ignition/starter button. I held my thumb on it to hold it at full and it started right up on the first crank. If I let my thumb off and it drifted back, it started to die. I may just need to make an adjustment on the choke cable.

Thanks again for the help and pointers!

Happy fall riding, even if your fall is about the same as your summer (lucky dogs...)!

Lynn

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Postby dwight007fchr » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:37 pm

Lynn.....Yep, my choke does the same thing. I always just hold it with my left thumb on full choke and slowly allow it to drift back as she warms up. I think this is the way its supposed to be, but let me know if not, and what adjustments you do to make it stay where you put it. Honestly, I think I prefer the old style pull out chokes better.....simplier and less likely to fail.

lmaxfield

Postby lmaxfield » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:08 pm

I agree, dwight, that the pull types were much simpler, but I'm glad to know that someone else has the same issue. I will look at it and update here if I find something relatively easy to adjust. The other thing mine does is it will cancel the choke as soon as I pull in the clutch lever. I haven't looked at the mechanics of how it is doing it, but every time I think I will ease on out of the driveway while it warms up, I am reminded otherwise. She has to be warm enough to run with no choke before I can get going.

Anyway, thanks!

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:38 pm

lmaxfield wrote:I agree, dwight, that the pull types were much simpler, but I'm glad to know that someone else has the same issue. I will look at it and update here if I find something relatively easy to adjust. The other thing mine does is it will cancel the choke as soon as I pull in the clutch lever. I haven't looked at the mechanics of how it is doing it, but every time I think I will ease on out of the driveway while it warms up, I am reminded otherwise. She has to be warm enough to run with no choke before I can get going.

Anyway, thanks!

On my 1000 and CB750L , the friction on the choke cable is adjustable at the knob end by tightening the black plastic/rubber surround under the knob, on the bracket. The choke is probably backing off when you pull the clutch simply because the clutch cable moves when you pull the lever in and it is moving against the choke cable and, as the knob needs the friction increasing, it just slides home under tension from the spring at the carbs end.
Maz

Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”