Motor is missing on 1 cylider and new battery is drianing.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
banjowyatt
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

Motor is missing on 1 cylider and new battery is drianing.

Postby banjowyatt » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:39 pm

Last week A storm blew my GL 1100 over at a 90 degree angle and I didn't see it for 24 hours. After that my battery started draining and the presets for knocked off my radio. Now the motor seems to be missing on one cylinder. I bought a new solenoid and for some reason now even when the bike is in neutral I have to engage the clutch for the starter button to engage the starter period any ideas to what might be draining the battery and how do I reset the radio because I can't find a manual on it. Any information would be greatly appreciated thank you my fellow Gold wingers!

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Motor is missing on 1 cylider and new battery is drianing.

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:09 am

The preset stuff is in the owners manual not the shop manual..but
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:12 am

Is your battery sealed? Or did the electrolyte perhaps drain out of it?

If the battery is too low, the presets will be lost when you start the bike (voltage drops too low), and if the battery is too low, you can start losing spark (weakest cylinder first).

That's the first thing I would look at.

banjowyatt
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

Postby banjowyatt » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:19 am

WingAdmin wrote:Is your battery sealed? Or did the electrolyte perhaps drain out of it?

If the battery is too low, the presets will be lost when you start the bike (voltage drops too low), and if the battery is too low, you can start losing spark (weakest cylinder first).

That's the first thing I would look at.

Thanks again. The bike seems to turn over very well now, but I still have to engage the clutch even in neutral for the bike to even turn over. I replaced all the plugs they were pretty bad shape. I have the original owners manual on the bike and the Jensen am/fm cassette player is nowhere in there. I'll just have to fiddle round with it until I can figure it out. However I now have a new problem. My back brrake pedal wants to stay down almost all the way when I press down on it. There's plenty of fluid and the back brake light stays on. It makes me think there's badly worn stiff spring somewhere. I don't know how or even where to obtain a "mityvac" sp? to try to bleed them but I need to something quick. Any and all advice will be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

Respectfully,

BanjoWyatt "Indy"

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:52 am

The brake peddle may be rusted on the spindle..squirt some solvent at it may help but the real fix is to take if off the spindle clean up the spindle and brake lever then grease up and re-install. some have put a zerk fitting on the brake pedal so they can grease it once in awhile. Or broken spring..it's big and heavy so unlikely. see this

http://shop.westernhonda.com/fiche_sect ... veh=132954

That radio is not OEM..all OEM's were Clarion ..I THINK!! Try searching on line for a manual for the radio you have..almost always one someplace.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”