Tachometer cable oil leak

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Stubbegubb
Motorcycle: 1980 GL110 Interstate

Tachometer cable oil leak

Postby Stubbegubb » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:45 pm

Hi, I have a 1980 Gl1100 Interstate that I got last year. There is a small oil leak from the Tachometer cable drive in the fuel pump housing. I have seen info on this forum on this issue, and it is confusing. There is guidance on how to change the oil seal, but other threads about replacing the fuel pump states that there is no oil coming to this area. Where then is the leaking oil supposed to be coming from? It is undoubtedly engine oil, and when I took the fuel pump off there was oil in there. So I tried to change the oil seal that supposedly sits below the cable in the hole there. When I took out the cable, I could not find an old oil seal in place. OK, thinks I, I did change the Tachometer cable last year and did not think to change the oil seal, perhaps it was pulled out. But here is my problem: the oil seal I had ordered does not fit, it has the right parts number and the right diameter but is way too thick. In fact, I cannot see that there is much room for a seal there at all. Any suggestions?

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Tachometer cable oil leak

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:57 am

I think the original seal may still be in place. If memory serves me correctly (which,unfortunately,isn't very often) there is the seal itself and two washers. It can be the devil to get them out if they have not been installed correctly, as the washers tend to stick. Look close at the seal area and see if your looking at the top of a washer, or the bottom of the hole. No worries about oil leaking from that area, if oil was not supposed to be there, we would not be having this discussion about an oil seal. :) Regards, Johnny

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:16 am

Washer and collar under the o ring no need to removed. Yo have to remove the top bolt from the tach drive housing then you can pull the cable out then fish the o ring out put a new one in and replace the tach drive bolt. Be sure to line up the slot and the drive tab..as best you can before shoving the cable in the hole.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Stubbegubb
Motorcycle: 1980 GL110 Interstate

Postby Stubbegubb » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:18 pm

Ok, that does make sense if there is a washer on top of the seal. I probed gently with a small screwdriver and found metal which seemed part of the housing. This made me wonder how in the world the worm gear had been installed. Obviously I now have the challenge of a stuck washer and seal, but knowing the adversary is half the job done. Thank you for your advice. The job may have to wait to spring, I live in Norway and winter is coming.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”