Turn signal conversion to led.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
imsbreezy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Turn signal conversion to led.

Postby imsbreezy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:01 pm

I have seen several people state they have converted all their lights on their aspencades to led. I am having an issue with this myself. I have installed an led compatible flasher (from ebay so may be an issue), and I can install an led bulb in the rear saddlebag socket and have them work fine. If I install an led in the front fairing socket, they do not flash or even turn on. Am not sure if this is flasher related, control module related or something I haven't thought of yet. Have tried buying different bulbs(better quality?) and the front would then flash but the back still did not light. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Want to finish this before I start timing belts/water pump.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Turn signal conversion to led.

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:15 pm

imsbreezy wrote:I have seen several people state they have converted all their lights on their aspencades to led. I am having an issue with this myself. I have installed an led compatible flasher (from ebay so may be an issue), and I can install an led bulb in the rear saddlebag socket and have them work fine. If I install an led in the front fairing socket, they do not flash or even turn on. Am not sure if this is flasher related, control module related or something I haven't thought of yet. Have tried buying different bulbs(better quality?) and the front would then flash but the back still did not light. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Want to finish this before I start timing belts/water pump.

Do you have any aftermarket devices, like side marker flashers or similar on your fairing?

imsbreezy

Postby imsbreezy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:32 pm

No I do not. I am thinking it may be the flasher, but I haven't had the chance to get a different one yet. I was just hoping someone else had a similar experience and could say yes that's it, or no it's not. thanks for the reply!

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:42 am

When I changed all bulbs to led the auto canceling control unit went crazy and would go on and off and wouldn't stay blinking. Went back to standard bulbs in the front and it did fine. So ,went and found some led bulbs with a little more wattage to put in the front and all is well. Now the auto canceling works but the time lag is shorter, such as sitting at a stop light waiting to turn, it will click off at a shorter time.
The flasher used is a 3 prong led from Napa. I did go with a darker amber on the front and it really pops out. I have read that the auto canceling unit has to have ..more power.. to operate correctly so in a way you loose some wattage you were trying to gain if that was the case.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

imsbreezy

Postby imsbreezy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:09 pm

Kind of what I thought. Thanks for the help!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”