Wiring Harness Issues

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GL1100
1986 Suzuki Intruder
1979 Honda CM400T
2002 Honda Shadow

Wiring Harness Issues

Postby jmb9313 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:09 am

So I got my '81 gl1100I a couple of months ago. I finally got it "running", though it was running badly. The previous owner had skipped his starter solenoid and run straight from the positive on the solenoid to an battery kill switch, to the starter. I tried to take out the kill switch and put in a new starter, and I was getting every signal in the right place, but not even a "click". Unfortunately, this is where I screwed up. I plugged in the connector backwards and burned a wire half way up the harness. After having to pull the whole harness, replacing the burned wire, and put it back in. Now I have 5 wires, 4 females (Brown&White, Brown, Green&Red, and Green&White) and one male (Brown&Red), wires that don't have connectors. They are all run correctly in the rest of the bike, but I still have them just sitting there not connected to anything. When I took off the harness, everything was connected. I can turn the bike on, but I have no turn signals, brake lights, horn, radio, or starter functions. so basically I've just got power to the key switch. Any ideas?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”