No power and has backfire on acceleration

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Mrkania
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

No power and has backfire on acceleration

Postby Mrkania » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:44 pm

This 1982 gl1100 is my first bike. I got it a couple weeks ago and I rode on a few short one hour trips which it ran great before it started overheating and I blew a head gasket on the right side. So I took my head to be surfaced at a shop and they told me it it needed all new exhaust and intake valves. So I had my head rebuilt and I finally got it back and I set the valve clearance myself with a feeler guage (that was my first time) and then installed the head. I marked the timing belt before i hand and put it back on exactly in the same spot and it has all new spark plugs, and it seems to idle fine. And I test drove it today and I was dissapointed to find out that the bike has hardly any power, and its a struggle just to take off. It will barely reach 55 and anytime I try to accelerate I hear a loud backfire on my right side. I am convinced that I did not do something right when I reinstalled my head and I'm not even sure where to start on diagnosing the problem. This was my first ever head job and I'm feeling a little over my head. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Re: No power and has backfire on acceleration

Postby indianakid » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:21 pm

OK....... double check your cam timing..... both sides. make sure the plug wires are on the correct spark plug. do a compression check. let us know what you find.

Mrkania

Postby Mrkania » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:25 pm

OK thanks. Talked to a guy at the auto store and he says it sounds almost certainly like timing is off. He explained how to set timing by using the marks. And i will double check plug wires are on the right plugs and what should my compression run at?

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Postby indianakid » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:26 pm

per the factory Honda manual (down loadable from this site) the compression should be a minimum of 142psi and no more than 15psi difference in the readings.

OK...... now for my concern............ if your auto guy is right and the cam timing is off you could be looking at bent valves and maybe damaged pistons. since the engine has been run any damage that may have occurred has already occurred so doing a compression check is not going to cause any additional damage and will let you know if there is a problem. check and reset the cam timing as required and check compression again (or just fire it up). hope all turns out well. keep us posted.

Mrkania

Postby Mrkania » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:17 pm

OK thanks for the information, I will download manual for sure. And I just got done... I ended up moving the cam over one tooth on the timing belt on the right side(the left was perfect) and then I ended up switching the plug wires on the right side. One of the wires has a #3 on it so I put it on the #3 cylinder. I turned it over to make sure it would start and then I double checked the timing again, incase it moved while it ran for 2 seconds. I put the covers and everything back together and now its time to test drive it... So I backed it out of the carport and started it right up with ease and let it idle for a minute and just listened. It sounds good so I reved it to about 2000 rpms and it sounds fine but every 5 or 6 seconds it makes a knock on the right side. But if I let it idle at 950 rpms it sounds fine without a knock.... So I thought maybe I had the plug wires correct the first time and switched them again to see if it would help. But all it did was make a crazy loud backfire apon start up and I shut it right back off and put the wires back. So now I'm not sure where the knock is coming from, since there was no knock before I retimed it. And I took the cover off and it is still timed according to the tick marks. So I'm a little lost at the moment. I will have to get a compression tester tomorrow and check that... I'd like to learn how to fix it, but I'm a little worried about breaking something I can't afford to fix.

Mrkania

Postby Mrkania » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Update: I let the engine cool overnight and looked at my valve clearance. One exhaust valve was off just ever so slight. I adjusted it and ran it. It seemed fine when I rev it and then I decided to ride it down the road to the gas station. And it ran great; I even had all my power back. I guess I will see how my repairs hold up throughout the week. I really appreciate the quick responses and if it doesn't hold up, I may ask for more advice. And also where can I fine that manual?

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Postby dwight007fchr » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Mrkania.......Im glad you fixed the problems and the old tank is running good. Amazing how strong these engines are to take the torture of a timing mark being a tooth off, and a couple plug wires criss-crossed, and still getting you up to 55mph.

Regarding that knocking, I would bet that if you synced your carbs, that would solve that, and make the bike run like a new one. You can buy a set of 4 vacuum gauges to do the carb syncing for around $75, and it is actually a piece of cake to do, as long as you got to youtube and watch some experts do it and use their tips.

Good luck.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”