right side #1 #3 not firing when idleing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
oldognewtrik
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 I Interstate

right side #1 #3 not firing when idleing

Postby oldognewtrik » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:57 pm

I rebuilt the carbs, changed the plugs and the bike runs great on the road. At idle the #1 and #3 cylinders aren't firing. The exhaust is cool. When I rev the RPMs the exhaust warms up. Could I have clogged idle jets.

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Re: right side #1 #3 not firing when idleing

Postby dwight007fchr » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Olddog.....Sounds like you are having some interesting issues also like am having with my 83 GL1100. Are you sure the No. 1 and 3 are not "firing"......that is, not getting spark at idle? I would bet that you are getting a spark, but as you say maybe there is not enough gas coming in at idle to create combustion.

But if you just rebuilt the carbs, then I assume all the tiny holes in the jets were all cleaned when you put the carbs back on. I suppose more sediment and gunk could have been sucked into the carbs......you have an inline gas filter between the tank and carbs, right? If you have not replaced it in a long time, maybe the filter paper is old and letting crap pass on to the pump and carbs.

But I tend to agree with you that maybe the slow idle jets are clogged. Another question.....after rebuilding the carbs, did you manage to get 4 vacuum gages and sync the carbs? If not, could be that they are off so much that the main idle screw is set to allow enough gas to No. 2 and 4, but way too little to 1 and 3. Just another idea.

Next time you crank yours up, let me know if any of your intake pipes are cold on No. 1, 2, 3, or 4. I just did a post about my No. 4 being very cold compared to the others.

oldognewtrik

Postby oldognewtrik » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks for the response. I had some crap in my tank and I'm sure I got it all. Dah. Maybe I didn't and as #1and 3 get gas from the pump first, I'm guessing they got the crap. Dang it, I gotta pull the carbs again. Also, the #1 and 3 intakes do not get warm when idling.

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:33 pm

olddog......yep, me too......I will have to pull my carbs off AGAIN. It can be a real pain, but Im getting down the process pretty good now. Its like giving birth getting the carbs in and out, and I am taking off the No. 1 and 3 vacuum slide tops first and it still a squeeze. And I hate trying to put the accelerator cables back onto the carb body....not much room to use a No. 10 wrench on the cable nuts.

Now I am thinking that the No. 4 is running cold due to the float letting too much gas in.....probably running super rich.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Did you also clean the fuel pump? Gunk from the tank can hide there and reinfect your clean carbs.

oldognewtrik

Postby oldognewtrik » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:22 pm

I did not clean the pump but I'm going to this time thanks for the replies. I take it you agree that those two idle jets are most likely the problem.

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Olddog......I pulled the carbs again today and reset all the floats back to 21mm. I had tweeked them back down to 15.5mm, which is the factory specs. Those specs do not work on my Wing. Bent the float adjuster arm back to make them all the same, and now there are no gas leaks. Also, No. 4 intake pipe now runs warm, not ice cold as it did yesterday. All 4 pipes run the same warm temp. Runs and sounds great.....except that I am still getting whitish smoke out of the left muffler. I put an old cotton rag out to catch the smoke for a minute, and looked at the rag......no black oil on it. I can only guess that it is still running rich on the left side.

Good luck on pulling your carbs off again.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”