Strange Starter failure

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 Aspencade

Strange Starter failure

Postby madmonkey » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:47 am

I o-hauled my carbs and was starting the bike to fine tune. I have a new "DB Electrical" starter in the bike. As I was turning the bike over, she fired ran for a minute, then stalled. I continued to try to start when all of a sudden as it was turning over, I heard a great mechanical "crunch" and then the starter was free wheeling; bbbzzzzziiiinnnnngggggg!! I split the starter apart and found the planet gears to be stripped, what the hell happened? Are Chinese parts that bad? I thought for a second that the timing belt broke and locked her up.... But not so, pulled the valve covers and plugs and rotated the rear wheel in gear to make sure, it was ok.

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Re: Strange Starter failure

Postby happycat » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:51 pm

Been there done that... My bike had a bad starter when I first got it. The guy had just replaced it and it was still under warrenty so He sent it back and shipped the new on to me. Rode it for a week, and same thing (only I didn't hear the crunch, just freewheeling). Eventually thought to pull it apart planatary gears to speak of just so much shrapnel....
I posted on here to see if anybody had a dead starter or some extra planatary gears and I really nice guy from California sent me some... Been fine ever since. Good luck!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”