light feeling front end

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
noelcassidy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 aspencade

light feeling front end

Postby noelcassidy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:41 am

I am sort of new to the wing thing. I bought a 1983 standard wing and restored it to riding condition. I noticed that there is a 3 pound weight attached to the forks, behind the fairing headlight. My question is, do these bikes feel light in the front end when riding? I notice that every little bump in the road is noticed and the front end feels light. Just wondering if it is just the way the old wings are.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: light feeling front end

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:43 pm

I love the orange color!

Don't remove that weight! It's used to prevent a deadly speed wobble! Non-faired Goldwings have a big bucket headlight hanging off the front of the forks, which helps dampen steering oscillations. Because Goldwings with fairings don't have that headlight there, they put a large cast iron weight there instead.

As for the front end feeling light - I can't say I would describe it that way, but there is a lot of mass in the bike when it's moving, so the suspension has a lot of work absorbing bumps and impacts.

noelcassidy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 aspencade

Postby noelcassidy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:14 am

I installed progressive springs in the front end and was told i did not need to air the forks up. Well the other day I aired the forks up and it seems to be a bit better feeling now. It felt sort of slushy before, now it is a bit stiffer and the forks seem to work better. I was not intending to remove the weight as I am sure it was put there for a reason, high speed wobble makes sense. It is a cool oldwing, the color? well it stands out.

MSGT-R
Motorcycle: 13 F6B
81 GL1100 (gone)

Postby MSGT-R » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:03 am

I like the color! I did mine in Imperial Jade Green (Honda Civic), don't let anyone dissuade you from doing something different. ;)

Another thing to look at is how the bike sits. If you have "butt-sag", you will get low speed wobble. The bike must ride level for the best control in the corners. I've seen a lot of old wings riding this way. Also, make sure the steering head bearing is adjusted correctly. Play in this area will also give some strange inputs (loose feeling).

Don't spook the road sheep.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”