brakes and "new" old bikes

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
davekrovetz
Motorcycle: none presently

brakes and "new" old bikes

Postby davekrovetz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:01 pm

In the process of working through the various systems of my 1982 GL1100, I tackled the rear brakes this afternoon - since the rear wheel and final drive were off the bike anyway. The rear rotor had felt too warm, I was wondering about a stuck piston. What I found has made me decide to go through the front calipers as well. When I pulled the caliper and removed the pistons, one of the seals was a hardware store type o-ring. Correct diameter but about 1/4 the width of the proper seal. This o-ring was slowly coming apart, pieces were behind the piston. Certainly explains the sticking piston, but also makes it clear we should never assume the a PO was a competent mechanic or on top of who ever did repairs on the bike. A little extra time on the part of us as the newest owner going over all aspects of the bike is time (and even money) well spent!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: brakes and "new" old bikes

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:42 am

It continually amazes me to find ridiculous and stupid things from PO's on my bike. Every time I think; "well, that's the LAST time I'll find something stupid someone did to my bike"....and yet a few months later, I'll find something else.

If you're pulling the rear caliper off (and draining fluid), you might want to do some PM, pull the master cylinder off and clear/clean the fluid return hole. It clogging up is the common cause of stuck rear brakes.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”