White smoke coming from exhaust on old barn-find

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
puttersup
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

White smoke coming from exhaust on old barn-find

Post by puttersup » Fri May 19, 2017 12:40 pm

I am currently in the process of getting an 81 Interstate up and running after sitting in a barn for a number of years.

After rebuilding the carbs, changing the fuel pump, adding some new fuel, changing the plugs and oil and oil filter and ensuring there was antifreeze, at 2 AM this morning I fired it up for the first time in what I am sure is a very long time.

However, while it sounds fantastic, I have to have it fully choked to keep it running, and it is blowing lots of white/grey smoke. I have let it run long enough to fill the neighborhood with smoke (5 mins or so) twice, hoping that any bad gas in the system might burn off, but no luck.

What is going on, and what do I need to do next?

cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Re: White smoke coming from exhaust on old barn-find

Post by cyberlon » Fri May 19, 2017 7:10 pm

Take a quick look at your oil again, just to be sure there isn't any coolant leaking into it. (Take this with a grain of salt, I do not claim to be an expert.) Coolant, afaik, will cause white smoke. Grey smoke can be caused by oil getting into the combustion chamber.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Fri May 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Bad valve stem seals won't help - and depending on how much oil could be sitting in the exhausts getting burnt off.

You will need to clean your carbs, and can you do a compression check on each cylinder - a dry and then a wet test.

cheers

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Post by Johnyy Smoke » Sat May 20, 2017 4:19 am

cyberlon wrote:Take a quick look at your oil again, just to be sure there isn't any coolant leaking into it. (Take this with a grain of salt, I do not claim to be an expert.) Coolant, afaik, will cause white smoke. Grey smoke can be caused by oil getting into the combustion chamber.
It could be a head gasket, or just crap that accumulated over the years getting burned out. Run it a little longer and see what happens. Float settings come to mind, are you sure they are "spot on"? Do check oil and antifreeze for contamination.
What is a "afaik" ? And do all 1100"s have one? :) Regards, Johnny

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Post by Overdog » Sat May 20, 2017 6:48 am

Acronym for "As far as I know"

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Post by Overdog » Sat May 20, 2017 6:50 am

...and I almost hate to say it but....the O.P. is in Canada. I think it gets cold in Canada. If the bike didn't have good antifreeze in it there could be cracks in the block or head.....

Johnyy Smoke

Post by Johnyy Smoke » Sat May 20, 2017 7:20 am

Overdog wrote:Acronym for "As far as I know"
Ahhhh- thanks for enlightening me! Cleary, I am not the brightest color in the box. :) Regards, Johnny

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:57 am

If the bike needs the choke to operate, you have air leaks somewhere. As has been mentioned, white smoke is generally attributed to water in the cylinder, black smoke to oil or way too much fuel. It has been sitting for several years and just having it start and run is a good sign: however, check everything out. Do you have the 1100 service manual? PM me with your email if you would like an electronic copy.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

puttersup

Post by puttersup » Sat May 20, 2017 12:40 pm

As mentioned, I have cleaned and rebuilt the carbs.

I will make the compression test my next step.

How hard is it to change the stem seals?
Aussie81Interstate wrote:Bad valve stem seals won't help - and depending on how much oil could be sitting in the exhausts getting burnt off.

You will need to clean your carbs, and can you do a compression check on each cylinder - a dry and then a wet test.

cheers

puttersup

Post by puttersup » Sat May 20, 2017 12:46 pm

Rednaxs60 wrote:If the bike needs the choke to operate, you have air leaks somewhere. As has been mentioned, white smoke is generally attributed to water in the cylinder, black smoke to oil or way too much fuel. It has been sitting for several years and just having it start and run is a good sign: however, check everything out. Do you have the 1100 service manual? PM me with your email if you would like an electronic copy.

Cheers
There is plenty of antifreeze in the rad, and it doesn't have that sweet smell in the exhaust. Maybe the exhaust is better described as light gray as opposed to white. I do have a manual. I will go back and check clamps and connections to see if air leak is the issue.

Here is a thought....i started it without the air filter housing on it. Could that lead to it drawing to much air?

puttersup

Post by puttersup » Sat May 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Johnyy Smoke wrote:
cyberlon wrote:Take a quick look at your oil again, just to be sure there isn't any coolant leaking into it. (Take this with a grain of salt, I do not claim to be an expert.) Coolant, afaik, will cause white smoke. Grey smoke can be caused by oil getting into the combustion chamber.
It could be a head gasket, or just crap that accumulated over the years getting burned out. Run it a little longer and see what happens. Float settings come to mind, are you sure they are "spot on"? Do check oil and antifreeze for contamination.
What is a "afaik" ? And do all 1100"s have one? :) Regards, Johnny
In my limited experience, I feel like I can rule out the head gasket and coolant issues.

Not sure on the accuracy of the float settings. I did rebuild the carbs so maybe something is wonky in there. I cringe at the thought of having to remove that assembly again!

Johnyy Smoke

Post by Johnyy Smoke » Sat May 20, 2017 3:20 pm

You must be sure of the float settings. "close enough" quite simply, will not work.
A gauge is most useful while doing this job. They must be of the same height from heel to toe. 15.5 mm for my 1980. Also be sure the floats are not bent in any way. All 4 of mine were bent in some manner or other- and the carbs had never been opened :?. Vibration over the years is the culprit, I suspect.
Randacks (sp?) web site has an excellent article complete with pics that makes the importance of this topic more clear, and easier to understand.
Perhaps the carbs are flooding the machine out. This would lead to hydro lock eventually, and we don't like that, nor will your motor.
Let us know how it goes. Regards, Johnny

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Post by Maz » Sun May 21, 2017 4:14 am

puttersup wrote:I am currently in the process of getting an 81 Interstate up and running after sitting in a barn for a number of years.

After rebuilding the carbs, changing the fuel pump, adding some new fuel, changing the plugs and oil and oil filter and ensuring there was antifreeze, at 2 AM this morning I fired it up for the first time in what I am sure is a very long time.

However, while it sounds fantastic, I have to have it fully choked to keep it running, and it is blowing lots of white/grey smoke. I have let it run long enough to fill the neighborhood with smoke (5 mins or so) twice, hoping that any bad gas in the system might burn off, but no luck.

What is going on, and what do I need to do next?
You are probably already aware of this (but a reminder doesn't hurt..) Change the timing belts sooner rather than later before running the motor much more.
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

puttersup

Post by puttersup » Mon May 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks all for your great input.

It seems that at least to some degree a few of you were right...just needed to burn the junk out.

The bike won't stay running at idle but does when I throttle up. I held it at 3 grand for about 15 minutes and eventually most of the smoke cleared up.

I will still look at compression, the timing belt and a few other things you folks have recommended.

The next thing now, is that although it will stay running (very smoothly) at 3 thousand RPM, it won't run at idle. What do I need to look for here? Would this relate to the idle jets and having them tuned properly?

Thanks!

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Mon May 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Strip and clean the carbs - slow jets sound like they are plugged up...

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON » Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 am

+1 slow jets..80-81 jets are pressed in and hard to get out but you have to clean the side ports and the center shaft..so they have to come out..82-83's screwed in and easier to remove..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

puttersup

Post by puttersup » Tue May 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Aussie81Interstate wrote:Strip and clean the carbs - slow jets sound like they are plugged up...
Thanks Aussie, I actually put new jets in all four carbs. Manual setting recommends opening 1 1/4 turn after installation, should I back them out more?

puttersup

Post by puttersup » Tue May 23, 2017 12:57 pm

RBGERSON wrote:+1 slow jets..80-81 jets are pressed in and hard to get out but you have to clean the side ports and the center shaft..so they have to come out..82-83's screwed in and easier to remove..
Interesting...I did replace the jets and they were screw in...could I actually have an 82? I will have to dig in to this!

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Post by spiralout » Tue May 23, 2017 2:04 pm

puttersup wrote:
Aussie81Interstate wrote:Strip and clean the carbs - slow jets sound like they are plugged up...
Thanks Aussie, I actually put new jets in all four carbs. Manual setting recommends opening 1 1/4 turn after installation, should I back them out more?
You replaced the jets or pilot screws?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Wed May 24, 2017 8:34 am

Did you do this?????

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

puttersup

Post by puttersup » Wed May 24, 2017 4:33 pm

spiralout wrote:
puttersup wrote:
You replaced the jets or pilot screws?
Sorry, I replaced pilot screws, cleaned jets.