Protective / Storage Cover for 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Protective / Storage Cover for 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby N2PPN » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:40 am

I am looking for a replacement for my OEM Hondaline cover (the green one with GoldWing printed over the windshield area and with the little "pockets" for your fairing mirrors) circa 1981, that has served me most faithfully for many, many, many years... Now that I am riding again and wanting to keep the bike clean, I have started using the old cover again and noticed it had aged quite a bit. So I am looking for a replacement.

Any suggestions for a decent cover that is lightweight enough to be "folded" up (ha ha, who am I kidding, usually it just gets stuffed into the wife's helmet when I am alone on the bike) and stored in either the saddle bag or trunk without taking up too much room??

I will be riding more as fall approaches and since I try to use the cover when ever I park for more than 30 minutes (also helps keep "prying eyes" from seeing all your stuff). So I will be soon needing a new one... I thought about bringing my old cover to a canvas shop that does boat covers and seeing if they could use it as a pattern to make a new one for me (including the mirror pockets, which don't seem to be on any of the new ones and helped to keep the cover on straight)

So what do you guys like (or dislike) out there for your GL1100 Interstates?? I know there are a lot of different types and materials available nowadays, so any feedback and or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Inquiring minds want to know....

Ride Safe!

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Protective / Storage Cover for 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby lhelber » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:54 pm

I was thinking about getting one of those half covers for while I am on the road. As I was reading your post I was beginning to think that maybe I should use my original cover as a pattern and make a light weight one out of ripstop nylon. Nylon is easy to sew and you can use seam sealer to water proof the seams. That would make a light weight and easy to store cover.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”