carb pilot screws missing?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Blindin1i
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

carb pilot screws missing?

Post by Blindin1i » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here and this is my first time to ask for help or information. I recently bought a 1980 GL1100 from a guy who had just bought a new bike and wanted to get the Wing out of his garage to create more space. It had starter problems and the guy didn't feel confident enough to fix it himself. He made me a deal on the bike that I couldn't refuse. I fixed the starter issue and got the engine running. I noticed that it was firing on only 3 cylinders and the #4 cylinder was dead. I checked the compression on all cylinders and they were all ok. I checked for spark on #4 and the spark was good. I even changed the spark plug thinking the plug might be bad. I had already changed the coils, plug wires and boots. Everything seemed good so I figured #4 wasn't getting any fuel. The carbs were so dirty and nasty I decided to just go ahead and remove, clean and overhaul them. I bought the Randakk carb rebuild kit since it seems as though everyone says it's the best to use. After removing the carb assembly and cleaning it up some, I noticed that there were only 2 carbs with pilot screws. In my Honda GoldWing 1980-1983 Service Manual, it talks about adjusting pilot screws for EACH carb. So now I'm wondering why there are only 2 pilot screws on my carbs. Carbs #2 and #3 both appear to have brass plugs where the pilot screws should be. (See attached photos) I haven't started stripping apart the carbs yet and I'm not going to until I can get this figured out first. Has anybody ever seen this before?
Attachments
no pilot screw
no pilot screw
no pilot screw
no pilot screw

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Re: carb pilot screws missing?

Post by indianakid » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:17 pm

the head of the pilot screw is broken off. the best way to successfully drill out a broken pilot screw is to have the individual carb centered up in a mill with respect to the broken screw and drill it out stepping out to the tap drill size. Good luck as most carbs with this condition are not salvageable.

Blindin1i

Post by Blindin1i » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks for your response, indianakid. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but thank you.
This is an awesome site with a lot of knowledgable people. Lots of good information.

Blindin1i

Post by Blindin1i » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 pm

No wonder the guy made me such a "good deal". Now I'm gonna have to find me some carbs.....

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:01 am

If there's enough of the brass left,could you use a metal saw(by hand) and cut a slot to fit a small screwdriver?a cut into the carb area isn't a problem.It seals deep in the hole.
Worth a try...especially if your gonna dump them.Give a light tap to free the threads.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:06 am

Take one of the good ones out and look it over so you can see what you are dealing with..then file them flat, center punch them and then drill.. use a left hand drill and it may pull them right out if not a decent easy out should do it..unless someone gorilla-ed then in..

worth a shot yoiu have nothign to loose.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Blindin1i

Post by Blindin1i » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks, RBGERSON.
That was what I originally had intended to do. What I ended up doing was taking a Dremel rotory tool with a very thin cut off wheel and cut a slot in the brass. With the help of some PB Blaster and a straight blade screwdriver (and a lot of patience), I was able to extract the broken screws. But in retrospect, I'm thinking your way would have been much better.

Blindin1i

Post by Blindin1i » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks Virgilmobile.
Great minds think alike....LOL

Blindin1i

Post by Blindin1i » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:35 am

After I extracted all of the pilot screws, I found that 1 pilot screw was missing the spring and 2 others were missing the little washers. :shock:
It's a wonder this bike was running at all.

After looking at all the other things I've had to repair, I'm beginning to suspect that this is a Frankenstein bike. That being a bike that was put together from lots of parts from other bikes. :(
The good thing about me having it is that all these problems will be addressed before it will be considered roadworthy. I'm kind of anal about stuff like that. LOL
I have a feeling this bike is gonna be a BEAST when I finish with it.

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Post by mytown » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Be sure the very tips of the screws did not break off in the body. This sometimes happens when the screws are over tightened.

Blindin1i

Post by Blindin1i » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:40 pm

mytown wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:07 pm
Be sure the very tips of the screws did not break off in the body. This sometimes happens when the screws are over tightened.
Thanks, mytown. I compared all the pilot screws and they all seem to look the same in regards to the tip so I'm sure none were broken off in the carb body. But I'll check to make sure there isn't any other obstruction there anyway.

Blindin1i

Post by Blindin1i » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Well, after doing all this fooling around with the broken pilot screws, I've determined that these carbs are total junk. :( They are the ones with the pressed in low speed jets. I tried removing one to clean it and it was a total disaster. So I'm not going to waste my time on the other three.
I managed to score a set of carbs off of eBay which look promising to overhaul. They are pretty cruddy inside and out but they are cleaning up nicely. These have the low speed jets that are removable. I can't believe that I got them for less than a hundred bucks. Everybody else was wanting over two hundred for theirs and they looked worse.
I'll let everybody know how they turn out and try to post some before and after pics.

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Post by mytown » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:24 am

I used these rebuild instructions:
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12168
I won't consider buying a bike with pressed in jets for fear of someday screwing them up. I'd like to see a picture the area of damaged low speed jet if you get the chance, wondering if it is beyond the skills of mere mortals to repair.

Blindin1i

Post by Blindin1i » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:54 pm

mytown wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:24 am
I used these rebuild instructions:
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12168
I won't consider buying a bike with pressed in jets for fear of someday screwing them up. I'd like to see a picture the area of damaged low speed jet if you get the chance, wondering if it is beyond the skills of mere mortals to repair.
I don't think I can get a decent picture of my carnage. I can tell you what I did to make it unsalvageable, though. Instead of trying to screw in a self tapping screw, I had the bright idea to try and run a small tap into the hole and cut some threads for a machine screw. I successfully got a 4-40 tap down into the hole without going too deep. Everything was fine at that point but instead of removing the tap and replacing it with a screw, I figured I might be able to pull the jet out using the tap. That stupid idea was when it all went wrong. I forgot that taps are brittle and easily broken...especially the small ones. So that's what happened. I broke off the tap in the top of the jet with ABSOLUTELY no way of extracting it now. This is what happens when you don't think and you get in a hurry.
Now the "up" side....I think I have a much better set of carbs to overhaul and put back on the bike. (See photo)
Attachments
Not even half finished yet but looking good.
Not even half finished yet but looking good.