Vacuum Advance Screw

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
buttonboy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Vacuum Advance Screw

Postby buttonboy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:23 am

Hi Folks. I have an 83 Aspencade that I just procured this past summer. It had been sitting unstarted for 3 years. What a pain to get it going again. Anyway, the bike seemed to run fine above 1500 RPM but would ping and shudder under that. I could not get it to idle, even with the carbs synced, idle screws, etc. Finally I was fooling around and found a screw on the vacuum advance actuator, and just for fun screwed it all the way in. Bingo, it stopped pinging and is now idleing, although still not very well. However it does not ping and sound so bad when idling. So here is the big question: What does that screw do? Is there an adjustment to be made with it? What is the proper setting, in or out?
Thanks.

buttonboy

Re: Vacuum Advance Screw

Postby buttonboy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Update: After driving for a few miles, I decided to get out the vacuum gages, now that I was not afraid to let it idle. The carbs were not in sync as well as could be. The bike now is in sync, and idles quite well. Although it has a slow time of returning to idle (probably the air cutoffs) it does not ping at idle anymore.
However, I still wonder what to make of the screw right in the center of the vacuum advance actuator.

kanada
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

Postby kanada » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:47 am

Is the screw in the middle of the vaccum diaghragm :?:
When all else fails make Beer.

buttonboy

Postby buttonboy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:40 pm

Yes, it is. When it is all the way out, the bike pings at idle. When I screw it in, the bike idles much better.

kanada
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

Postby kanada » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Ok I believe when the screw is in all the it advances the timing and when you screw it out you retard the timing. But some input from other winger would not hurt. You could put a timing light on it and see what it does, also you could also apply vaccum to it to see if it is working. On wing both the mechanical and vaccum were frozen. :?

When all else fails make Beer.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”