Stripe Removal

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
flanzajr
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Stripe Removal

Postby flanzajr » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi all,
I am a first time owner of a 1983 Interstate, recently purchased March, 2009. The paint is in fairly good shape but the stripes are faded on the right side of the bike. The bike would look good without them but I hear that they are applied to the base coat before the clear coat is applied. Is this correct? Is there any way to remove them without damaging the clear coat if this is true? Or are there factory stripe kits still available? Or aftermarket kits that can be applied over the old stripes? Thanks for all your help in advance.

flanzajr

roger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100 Aspencade
1995 CB750 Nighthawk

Re: Stripe Removal

Postby roger » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:54 am

You can purchase the exact tape and apply it over the old tape. Check with a local body shop and they should have the materials on hand and show you how it applies.

fireguy
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Stripe Removal

Postby fireguy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:24 am

I had the same problem. The factory striping is a decal that is imbedded in the clear coat. My clear coat was blistering over the stripe and I was able to scrape the clear coat off just over the stripe. i then gave the stripe a quick rough up with a scotchbrite pad. i found that a standard bronze coloured enamel spray and a Gold spray from the Hardware store was a direct match on my bike. I masked off the stripe and re painted it. ( it took no time at all) Let it dry for a day then gave it a light wet sand with 600 grit then clear coated over it...looks as good as the factory striping when i was done.

Don't be afraid to practice on some scrap material to get the technique down.

I understand that THE FACTORY DECAL , IF YOU CAN FIND ONE, is extremely expensive.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”