front fork ?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
noelcassidy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 aspencade

front fork ?

Postby noelcassidy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:15 am

Have an 83 Wing that I restored. It rides fine and is kind of a hoot. My question is. The front end feels light to me even with the 3 pound weight behind the fairing. Has anyone adapted heavier forks from a later wing or other brand bike? It feels to me that the forks are not heavy enough. I had an 86 Yamaha Venture and it too had that light feeling front end. I notice the forks on later Wings are way more substantial.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: front fork ?

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:52 pm

when you say light feeling front end do you mean that it steers easily or that you think the front end is wimpy and under sized? Or do you mean that the spring rate has sagged out and doesnt seem to support the weight of the bike well?

steering too lightly could be loose/worn streering head bearings,sagged out springs are easy.replace with a set of new springs from Progressive Suspension. Too wimpy for you? These are 41 mm tubes and are really quite strong.I hit a deer this year at about 40 km/hr. Killed the deer,front end is fine after straightening out the fender mounts.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

noelcassidy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 aspencade

Re: front fork ?

Postby noelcassidy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:01 am

I have new progressive springs installed and had the bottom legs all rebuilt. I guess to me they feel wimpy. My 2007 Moto Guzzi at 575 pounds has a set of 46 mm forks on it and it feels rock solid, granted it is a different ride. The 41 mm forks on the wing, I think may be a bit undersized for the weight of the bike. I know the new wings have more stout forks on them. I was just wondering if anyone has fitted heavier forks to their older wing.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”