starter failure when engine warm

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
crowesnest3
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100 standard w/vetter fairing

starter failure when engine warm

Postby crowesnest3 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:16 pm

This problem has got me at a loss. Bike is an 1980 1100 standard with Vetter fairing, 25000 miles, I'm 2nd owner and have put on 20000 of those miles. The problem: once the bike is warmed up, 15/20 minutes +, turn her off and try to retart and it is as if battery is almost dead or somebody doubled the compression ratio! Let her sit for 20 minutes plus and everything is fine, cranks freely and fires right up. I have replaced the solenoid with a new aftermarket ... nice to have a real fuse rather than old dog bone! .... same problem .... rebuilt the starter as described in "Goldwingdocs" "how to" .... boy, when you have such detailed step by step directions with good pictures of same, no reason one couldn't do almost any repairs needed! .... anyway, rebuilt starter. Yes, some collection of carbon dust, grease packing a little light and armature a little crusty, brushes just fine. Did notice that at some point enough current went thru starter to slightly melt the solder connection of the wire connected to starter housing. Starter did spin with a new sense of health afterwards; however, didn't do a thing about this loss of juice or "cranking amps" when engine is warm. I've noticed that the forum seems to have a variety of posts about their wings not starting after they have been ridden then work later. Anybody got an idea that isn't the solenoid, starter or battery?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: starter failure when engine warm

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:25 am

Most likely in the starter..heat expanding a connection to windings or ground.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

crowesnest3
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100 standard w/vetter fairing

Postby crowesnest3 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:11 pm

RB ... could you be a little more detailed. I had starter out for rebuild as described in "how to", everything looked to be in pretty good condition, only real point of interest was solder connection on wire connecting armature contacts in starter case ( 1 side only ) had gotten hot enough at some point to melt some of the surface solder off, solder connection was still solid and good tho, there was evidence of solder melted off inside case in vicinity of connection. Can't imagine engine heat would heat up starter that much, actually thinking about it, it would really have to be an electrical heat to melt that solder connection. Thinking about it know, the starter is located adjacent to the exhaust headers at the head itself, would get starter pretty hot. I'm running Jardines, can't remember if stock headers have any kind of heat shield between header and starter? If starter is really hot would this affect its ability to translate power from battery to spinning armature hence turning engine over??

Choppir
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Choppir » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi All ! I had the same problem with my 1982 Goldwing so I bought a new starter and relay with the new 30 amp fuse,, trouble I have is the new starter hookup stud is farther forward on the starter and doesn;t seem to go into the opening as far as the old one did. I did get it in but while I was hooking up the relay I shorted the whole works out electricaly, don;t know what I touched but it killed it all. OK, so now I take out the starter and compare it with the old one,, they have slight difference between them but the parts are not interchangeable, the old one has 4 brushes in it I was going to swap out the head part so that it would go back in further when installing it but that wasn't compatable, so put everything back together, and reinstalled it hooked up all the wires and hit the switch and it sounds like the bat. is dead which is fully charged. Checked the regulator I hear clicking when I hit the button but the starter won't turn fast enough to start the engine, what do u think the problem is now?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”