Rectifier regulator

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Rectifier regulator

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:53 am

I have a few questions for some of the experienced electrical guys out there, I have a 81gl, I believe its a combo rectifier and regulator, What is the number one cause of failure to this unit..? I have learned so much on this site and others but nobody ever talks about the two green ground wires that come out of the rectifier regulater into the fuse box and under the coils at the frame..Nothing will function if the fusebox wasn't grounding well, but what about the other ground to where the coil is...If that is not grounding good What are the possiblities? Maybe some smoke or plastic burning smell..The frame ground can not be forgotten either its not mentioned enough...Experienced guys can you please correct me and or educate me on this subject..As I am a student here..Thank you

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Rectifier regulator

Postby dingdong » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:34 am

You are absolutely correct in stating the importance of good electrical connections. The first thing I would recommend to anyone trying to bring an old wing back to life is to get ALL of the electrical connections clean and tight. The symptoms of electrical problems often are the same as fuel problems. So most of us end up chasing fuel gremlins that are in the end electrical. Not just the ground connections but the positive voltage connections are just as important. In the case of the regulator the ground is where the voltage overage gets dumped. Anything over 14.5, or something like that, is shunted to ground. Bad ground and the charging voltage fluctuates up or down. Loose or corroded connections will cause arcing (heat buildup) and thus burned connectors and wiring. The three yellow wires from the stator is a perfect example of loose and or corroded connectors. The main ground cable from the battery is another major source of electrical gremlins. As for the main cause of failure of the regulator, I'm not sure, but this could be one of them. Also many times the regulator hasn't failed as suspected. As stated above bad connections can make the regulator look as if it is defective when it really isn't.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:09 pm

I think your right, I found that there were more wires on this bike that had either corrosion or like WingAdmin said Oxzidation which is caused by the elements Air, water, dirt,time ect. it probably would be wise to replace some of the connectors with new if possible, Correct? Maybe a new ground wire at the battery, something else I never hear is this, corrosion in the wires itself, once that corrosion starts in the wires it travels like a cancer often unseen correct?..So all it takes is one loose ground at any of the places mentioned above to arc a joint or possibly ruin something, like your day.. WingAdmin scared me on another post talking about fire and such, so I would like to educate myself further on this subject as I wish to be a A student, I wish to leave my local fire department alone.. Isn't there something about AC current and DC current? Is this what the regulators function is? How much current in Amps would you say..The stator puts out current only correct? It's of course grounded at earth [frame] being part of the engine.. So no current goes into the stator Correct? So the only thing that could mess up a stator would be the working parts in it itself, Is this correct.??? I'm sorry about all of the questions here but, I'd like to know..

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:27 pm

The green ground wires coming from the regulator/rectifier are CRITICAL. The regulator uses those wires to dump excess current to ground, as well as a reference used to regulate the charging voltage. If those wires are not grounded well, the regulator can end up allowing extremely high voltages through into the bike's electrical system - potentially frying electronics and destroying the battery.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:49 am

So.... If everything is grounded correctly the worst that could happen to your electrical system would be.... You'd blow a fuse.. Is this correct????

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Well, there's no real guarantee of anything. If a rectifier failed badly, and injected the full ~50 volts AC from your stator into your 12 volt bus, it likely would not be a good day for your electronics. That said, maintaining your electrical system - checking ground connections and cleaning connectors will go a long way to keeping everything functioning properly.

fixit-now
Motorcycle: 82 Aspy.
79 Trail 90
73 MR-50
79 1100

Postby fixit-now » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:56 pm

I'm suprised no body has tried to build a no sinking reg for these bikes. Seems such a waste to work the alt. all day just to make extra heat . Has any one tried?.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:38 pm

There is. It's a Shindengen FH012AA - and can be wired directly in place of the existing regulator. It is a MOSFET regulator, and is more efficient, so it a) creates less heat, and b) gives you a bit more available power. I've sent messages to Shindengen at various addresses, and have never received any kind of response.

I just called them...and was told they have legal agreements to sell only to bike manufacturers, i.e. Honda, and do not have distributors. That said, you can find people selling them online, no idea where they're getting them from.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”