plugged weep hole/water pump

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
crowesnest3
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100 standard w/vetter fairing

plugged weep hole/water pump

Postby crowesnest3 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:52 pm

so I go looking for weep hole in bottom of water pump and don't see one till I realize that where it is supposed to be according to pictures available is a bolt! Now, I went to pull bolt and it snapped in half after a few turns! Gonna have to drill it out! The question is if it wasn't able to do its job, weep, what would this have done to pump and seals? Also, seeem to understand that weep hole is a small orafice not the size of a 10mm bolt, would this also mean the pump housing is also *****d? Have been losing coolant but I don't know where to, no visible leaks, no white exhaust ... some milky oil inside valve cover, but on oil change, oil was not milky ... really dirty after 3000m ... but not milky???? ..... Drains reservoir tank in 120m hghwy .....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: plugged weep hole/water pump

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:00 pm

This is not good. What it likely means is that a previous owner noticed coolant dripping out the weep hole - which indicates a failed water pump and/or pump seals. Being not very educated, he drilled out the hole and "fixed" the problem by installing the bolt. Now the pressurized coolant, having nowhere else to escape, gets pushed into the oil side of the housing. You've got three jobs ahead of you:

- drill out the weep hole
- replace the water pump and seals
- drain the oil and replace - perhaps cleaning crankcase (Seafoam) in the process.

That said...your oil is not milky, so the coolant might be forced out somewhere else other than the crankcase. If it's disappearing, it usually means a head gasket. You can check this by having a look at the spark plugs. If one or more of them looks "steam cleaned" then you've got your culprit.

crowesnest3

Postby crowesnest3 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:16 pm

what would a "steam cleaned" plug look like? Have had all plugs out more than once recently and they all look the same with reddish brown tips and pretty clean, kinda like they should look, only got couple of thousand on them, all highway. Could the head gasket go on all 4? Wouldn't I be blowing some smoke out exhaust and engine running pretty crappy .... which it doesn't ... can pump freeze up and really do more damage than just having to replace water pump .... And all other seals, o rings etc involved .... the question is should I park her for the winter and open her up? ......... did a compression test couple of days ago and got readings on all 4 of 95 - 110, which is low! Note: 25450miles, was noted that this would be correct if done with closed throttle, which it was. Have not retested with open throttle ... to be honest had never heard about throttle open for compression test ... always learning and open to advise.

crowesnest3

Postby crowesnest3 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:02 am

also, would anybody be able to give me the approximate size of the weep hole ... gonna drill out 10mm bolt that was installed into it and figure I'll try to use weep hole size bit rather than plow thru with a 10mm. If that 10mm spins out and leaves me with a drain hole rather than a weep hole, thinking I will take case to a friend who is an incredible welder and have him close up the hole and then I'll drill out to correct dimension. Really don't want to buy new pump casing!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:46 pm

The weep hole is no more than about 2mm in diameter. It's pretty small.

A "steam cleaned" plug is bright and shiny, clean and new looking - it happens when coolant is injected into the cylinder through a faulty head gasket, encounters the high temperatures and turns to steam. It's obviously not a favorable condition.

As for the compression test - where do you live? Higher altitudes will cause lower compression readings simply because the ambient air pressure is lower the higher you go. Have a look at this thread for details. That said, doing it with the throttle closed will definitely give you low compression numbers, as the intake will be constricted. The throttle should be wide open, and choke off.

If you are getting low compression, squirt some regular engine oil into the cylinder through the plug hole and re-test. If the compression goes up, the problem is worn rings. If the compression stays the same, the problem is valve seals or seats.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:49 pm

If you look closely, you can see the weep hole on my water pump casing:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”