Rear Shocks and front forks

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Honkytonk379
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Rear Shocks and front forks

Post by Honkytonk379 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Anyone out there know what bikes might interchange with my 81 gl1100 as far as rear progressive shocks and complete front end ( forks and trees ) ? I am building a Rodwing and it would be nice to know a few short cuts since this is the first Goldwing that I am attempting to chop

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Re: Rear Shocks and front forks

Post by jeffcosmo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:23 pm

What is your level of fabrication skills??

Very little in the motorcycle world directly interchanges, esp. in the world of Japanese motorcycles.

Having said that, I do think that CBX Pro-Link forks are a close match.

Good luck with that...($$$$$$)

BTW, I have changed forks, brakes, ignitions, suspensions, etc. My fabrication skills are above average, I weld (all processes) and I know good machinists.

Cosmo

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Rear Shocks and front forks

Post by Hoosier Jack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:24 pm

You're probably getting crickets here because I doubt that very few people think about replacing the front end of the Gold wings. They are pretty stout and can be adjusted quite a bit with progressive springs, different weight oil and air adjustments. That being said we have to consider what these bikes are being used for. They are not track bikes, or for that matter a sportbike. It is actually amazing that they can be flung around as well as they can be.

I believe that the shock length in the rear is 12.5 inches and you can see what you can find for a replacement. Raise the rear, or lower as you like. There is a clearance issue with going too low. Especially if you have bags.

Welcome to to forum. Maybe some will chime in and prove me a fool. That happens.