Rear Shocks and front forks

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Honkytonk379
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Rear Shocks and front forks

Post by Honkytonk379 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Anyone out there know what bikes might interchange with my 81 gl1100 as far as rear progressive shocks and complete front end ( forks and trees ) ? I am building a Rodwing and it would be nice to know a few short cuts since this is the first Goldwing that I am attempting to chop

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Re: Rear Shocks and front forks

Post by jeffcosmo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:23 pm

What is your level of fabrication skills??

Very little in the motorcycle world directly interchanges, esp. in the world of Japanese motorcycles.

Having said that, I do think that CBX Pro-Link forks are a close match.

Good luck with that...($$$$$$)

BTW, I have changed forks, brakes, ignitions, suspensions, etc. My fabrication skills are above average, I weld (all processes) and I know good machinists.

Cosmo

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:24 pm

You're probably getting crickets here because I doubt that very few people think about replacing the front end of the Gold wings. They are pretty stout and can be adjusted quite a bit with progressive springs, different weight oil and air adjustments. That being said we have to consider what these bikes are being used for. They are not track bikes, or for that matter a sportbike. It is actually amazing that they can be flung around as well as they can be.

I believe that the shock length in the rear is 12.5 inches and you can see what you can find for a replacement. Raise the rear, or lower as you like. There is a clearance issue with going too low. Especially if you have bags.

Welcome to to forum. Maybe some will chime in and prove me a fool. That happens.

dads82
Motorcycle: 82 Honda GL1100 Aspencade

Post by dads82 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Heya Jeffcosmo - I'm new to the crew as well - Recently started stripping my dad's 82gl1100A (i rode it for a while when dressed now and ready for something different) on the topic of Progressive 412 rear shocks...I am keeping the stock front forks but replacing the rears with Progressives. About to purchase 412's 12.5" (pricey but worth it I hear) when i enter the make/model info into the Progressive chart it says the shock won't fit the bike. Is this based on the bike being fully dressed and shock hits on saddle bags? There's plenty of room when its stripped so I am thinking that is the case. Any help on that subject before I purchase would be most appreciated!
Happy New Year lets ride!

WingNutJC
Motorcycle: GL1100 Standard
Goldwing Streamliner
'03 BMW R1100S

Post by WingNutJC » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:56 am

dads82 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 pm
Heya Jeffcosmo - I'm new to the crew as well - Recently started stripping my dad's 82gl1100A (i rode it for a while when dressed now and ready for something different) on the topic of Progressive 412 rear shocks...I am keeping the stock front forks but replacing the rears with Progressives. About to purchase 412's 12.5" (pricey but worth it I hear) when i enter the make/model info into the Progressive chart it says the shock won't fit the bike. Is this based on the bike being fully dressed and shock hits on saddle bags? There's plenty of room when its stripped so I am thinking that is the case. Any help on that subject before I purchase would be most appreciated!
Rear shocks: I bought Progressive 14.5" 416's for what I now believe were for a GL1200.

I wanted more cornering clearance as I was sick of scraping everything in the twisties.

As they for the 1200 (100lb heavier than my 1100 as it now stands), it means the rear is oversprung and underdamped. Uncomfortable.

But LOTS of cornering clearance. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Progressive have been no help at all with spring rate info, so I'll have to dismantle and measure the rate myself.

I posted re my experience with Progressive:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30957#p179737

Don't be discouraged tho, cause WOW - these bikes can handle. Ask my sport bike friends. :twisted:

WingNutJC
Goldwing Streamliner
'03 BMW R1100S

Post by WingNutJC » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 am

dads82 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 pm
Rear shocks: I bought Progressive 14.5" 416's for what I now believe were for a GL1200.

I wanted more cornering clearance as I was sick of scraping everything in the twisties.

As they for the 1200 (100lb heavier than my 1100 as it now stands), it means the rear is oversprung and underdamped. Uncomfortable.

But LOTS of cornering clearance. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Was very frustrated with poor technical assistance re getting softer springs, but since my last experience with Progressive, this has appeared on their website.
All spring info - front and rear: :D

https://www.progressivesuspension.com/a ... h-Info.pdf

Here's the background re my bike, plus my then experience with Progressive.
Howvever, they seem to have improved since then.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30957#p179737

Don't be discouraged tho, cause WOW - these bikes can handle. Ask my sport bike friends. :twisted:

BTW: Have you seen these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Progressive- ... SwOMdZUViF

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Post by Overdog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 am

I remember seeing somewhere that a Magna front end can be fitted to an oldwing

jeffcosmo
1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by jeffcosmo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:56 am

I have two running '83 Aspys. one stock, and one modified a bit. The main bike has Progressive suspension front and rear and easily out-handles and out-rides the stocker. Ride height is increased with Progressive rear (air) shocks.

As to the handling: yes, these are more capable than you would, at first, believe. However, beware pushing this bike into a sweeping high-speed corner, IT WILL WEAVE!!! The frame is still an early-eighties Japanese frame, complete with hinge in the middle.

Cosmo

WingNutJC
Goldwing Streamliner
'03 BMW R1100S

Post by WingNutJC » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:46 am

jeffcosmo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:56 am
I have two running '83 Aspys. one stock, and one modified a bit. The main bike has Progressive suspension front and rear and easily out-handles and out-rides the stocker. Ride height is increased with Progressive rear (air) shocks.

As to the handling: yes, these are more capable than you would, at first, believe. However, beware pushing this bike into a sweeping high-speed corner, IT WILL WEAVE!!! The frame is still an early-eighties Japanese frame, complete with hinge in the middle.

Cosmo
No. Not the frame.

Worn tires and weak fork damping.
Don't forget swing arm pivot play, and wheel bearing play.
(These need attention on my GL. I'm expecting more improvement when done).

This undulating corner at 60mph - almost a tank-slapper. Frightening.
New Avon Cobra's: barely a whimper at 70mph
15W fork oil (Have firmer springs): happy at 70mph.

jeffcosmo
1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by jeffcosmo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Try merging onto I-90 from northbound 53 at 90 mph. The hinge is real, though better than the '87 FLHS I owned a while back. And scads better than the 650 Tempter, which I got rid of VERY shortly after it wobbled 'round a mild corner at slow(ish) speeds.

IMHO, there was no Japanese bike able to go 'round corners as well as most British bikes until the Honda 750F of about 1980.

And quite a while longer before they got the equal (maybe) of the Italians.

My experience includes ownership of: 250 Sprint Aermacchi (H-D), 160 Monza Jr., 250 Monza, 860GT Duke. 850T Guzzi. 750GT American Eagle (props to anyone who knows who manufactured; double props to whoever knows the personality behind same), 500 Daytona Triumph, 650 Bonneville (OIF), 900 Trophy, 955i Tiger.

My Japanese ownership is quite a bit less, 'cause I LIKE going 'round corners...

Cosmo

dads82
Motorcycle: 82 Honda GL1100 Aspencade

Post by dads82 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated. Kinda bummed to hear about the Progressive 412's coming undone - I will read some more on race tech but I'm still leaning towards the Progs.
I dont want to raise the rear of the gl1100 it sits right where i want it at 12.5 that much i have decided. I'm still stripping and I have a long way to go before i start putting new parts on - just thinking ahead.

a guy could learn a lot here - me

WingNutJC
Goldwing Streamliner
'03 BMW R1100S

Post by WingNutJC » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:19 am

dads82 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:32 pm
Thank you for the replies. ... ... ...
I dont want to raise the rear of the gl1100 it sits right where i want it at 12.5 that much i have decided. I'm still stripping and I have a long way to go before i start putting new parts on - just thinking ahead.

a guy could learn a lot here - me
But why do you you want it at 12.5" ?
Allows greater cornering angles = more cornering speed. Muaaahh harr harrr ...

13.5 is stock. I'm always surprised to read of so many riders wanting to lower the ride height of their Wings.
As I'm 6'4", it's the other way for me, but only to gain cornering clearance.

:twisted:

WingNutJC
Goldwing Streamliner
'03 BMW R1100S

Post by WingNutJC » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:41 am

jeffcosmo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm
Try merging onto I-90 from northbound 53 at 90 mph. The hinge is real,

Cosmo
Hey Cosmo - but first, have you attended to all those running gear issues I mentioned?

Fork and shock damping is particularly important. Among other things, it will damp the front/rear rocking horse motion that leads to speed wobble.

This "to and fro" motion causes a change in steering head angle, speeding up or slowing steering response. When heeled over in a corner, you can't forget the rising/falling effect of the rear end, in both the vertical and horizontal, that reflects as a changing steering head angle, leading to a speed wobble.

But before all else - eliminate all sources of frame/wheel wobblies. :-)

jeffcosmo
1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by jeffcosmo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:29 pm

WingNutJC wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:41 am

Hey Cosmo - but first, have you attended to all those running gear issues I mentioned?
Glad you are so informed as to how poorly I maintain my motorcycles. Hadn't realised that that information had made it past even the Mason-Dixon line.

Note that going from a modern Triumph (or any Ducati) to a vintage Japanese bike (as I did) will tend to point up the deficiencies in said Japanese frame. Try as you might to negate the basics, there HAVE been a couple improvements in frame design since 1975.

Now off to the shed and knock a couple pounds of rust off of me Aspencade...
Cosmo