Replacing Valve Stem Seals

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Josterhage
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 Honda CB900C - SOLD

Replacing Valve Stem Seals

Post by Josterhage » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:38 am

I will be replacing the valve stem seals on my 1100 Standard in the next couple of weeks. I will be using the cotton rope in the cylinder method to prevent having to completely remove the heads. I know that to do this I will have to remove the Rocker Arm Assembly in order to be able to compress the springs. I do have a few questions about this:
1. Do I remove the camshaft as well, or does it remain in place?
2. If I do remove it, do I need to mark it in someway so that I can reinstall it correctly?
3. If it is removed, will I need to use moly-grease when it is reinstalled?
3. If I do not remove it, how does it remain in place while the springs are being compressed?
It is also my intention to take lots of pictures and do a DIY article on this process.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Replacing Valve Stem Seals

Post by RBGERSON » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:34 pm

1. Do I remove the camshaft as well, or does it remain in place? IMHO easiest to remove the whole thing..and do your belts at the same time.. as easiest to take the cam wheels off with the assembly. replace the seals while you're are at it..???

2. If I do remove it, do I need to mark it in someway so that I can reinstall it correctly? If above no issues
3. If it is removed, will I need to use moly-grease when it is reinstalled? No grease it's oiled

3. If I do not remove it, how does it remain in place while the springs are being compressed? remove it..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB