Storage Tips and Advice

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Naked Wing

Storage Tips and Advice

Postby montgomery63 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:02 am

I just bought my first Goldwing 6 weeks ago...a naked 82 GL 1100. I've been enjoying riding in the beautiful fall Minnesota weather, but I know my riding days are numbered for this year. I could use some advice on what to do to put my bike into storage for the winter. I have an unheated garage. Some specific questions I have are:

1. I've heard that the gas tank should be drained. But I've also heard that gas tanks can rust inside. Would it be better to fill the gas tank completely and add Seafoam or other additive, or is draining still the way to go?

2. I read somewhere about running an oily rag over all the chrome to keep it from rusting. Does that make sense?

3. I'm planning on getting a battery tender. Will that work OK, even in a garage that drops to 20 below zero?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Motorcycle: 1992 gl1500 Aspencade

Re: Storage Tips and Advice

Postby David.Mac » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:23 am

Fill the tank!! Only plastic tanks can be safely drained for the winter. A fuel additive will absorb any condensation and help to prevent rust. Oily rag is good, about the best. I remove my battery, put it in the (unheated) cellar and connect it to a battery charger once a month. Never had any problems. Oh yes, inflate the tyres to about 7 psi (0.5 bar) over the recommended pressure. Helps prevent flatspots. Cover the bike with old bedsheets or blankets to keep the dust off. NOT plastic or nylon. The bike will sweat and you've got rust.
In the Spring connect the battery and ride away.
David :D

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:55 am

I've tried several years doing the "connect the battery to a charger once in a while over the winter" and it failed miserably every time - leaving me with a weak or dead battery in the spring. I was going through one battery a year, which at near $100 a pop, is not cheap.

I went out and spent $25 on a Battery Tender Jr., and leave it hooked on all year long. When the bike is parked, I plug it onto the quick-disconnect that the unit comes with, and in the winter I take the battery out and put the clamps on the terminals for the winter. I'm now on year three with the same battery, and it's just as strong as when I bought it new. Only thing to check occasionally is your electrolyte levels - add distilled water as needed. So you could say I'm a big fan of the Battery Tender Jr. !!

Motorcycle: 13 F6B
81 GL1100 (gone)

Postby MSGT-R » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:29 pm

Put it on the center stand.
Don't forget to shut off the gas and drain the carbs.
Sta-Bil is great for the additive. Follow the directions on the bottle.
Cork your exhaust openings and stuff a rag in your intake (air cleaner) to limit what can get into the engine. Critters love to winter in sheltered dry places.

Don't spook the road sheep.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”