82 Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Xrims
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl 1100 Aspencade

82 Aspencade

Post by Xrims » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:53 pm

Hello and thanx for having me! I Have a 82 Aspencade and it will only start if I have the front brake pulled in or if I have rear brake pressed. Once started it will only stay running as long as the brakes are pressed. Once let off bike stalls. I don't have to pull the clutch in at all. I have went through all connections and tracked down all wires everything seems correct. I have also unplugged different components to try to isolate items and bike will run unless unplug coils or ignition or brake switch. Was surprised when it still ran when ECM was unplugged. Thanx in advance totally lost many hours in tracking this down.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 82 Aspencade

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Xrims wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:53 pm
Hello and thanx for having me! I Have a 82 Aspencade and it will only start if I have the front brake pulled in or if I have rear brake pressed. Once started it will only stay running as long as the brakes are pressed. Once let off bike stalls. I don't have to pull the clutch in at all. I have went through all connections and tracked down all wires everything seems correct. I have also unplugged different components to try to isolate items and bike will run unless unplug coils or ignition or brake switch. Was surprised when it still ran when ECM was unplugged. Thanx in advance totally lost many hours in tracking this down.
You have a bad ground - an open ground likely in the ignition system. When you hit the brakes, there is enough power finding its way to ground through your brake lights to let the engine run. Either that or you have a broken power wire, and it is feeding power from the brake circuit, through the brake lights and into the running light circuit, and from there finding its way to the ignition system enough to power things.

I'm not surprised that your bike ran with the ECM unplugged, mostly because your bike doesn't have an ECM. :)

A couple things to check - are your brake lights working? What about the running light (tail light) when the bike is turned on?

Find the green wire coming out of your taillight (it's a ground) and make sure it is actually grounded - if need be, run a test wire from a bare piece of metal on the engine into the brake light green wire to ensure it's grounded, and see if it makes any difference.

Also...make sure all of your fuses are good! Don't just look at them, take them out and test them when they are not installed.

Xrims

Post by Xrims » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:07 am

Thank you for the info much appreciated. I thought the rectangular black box next to the regulator was the ECM. Much too learn thanx again.

Xrims

Post by Xrims » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Found problem by radiator in front of carbs. The red plug had a bent prong. So 2 prongs where going into 2 slot. Straightened it out and everything is fine. Thanx again for all the help!