'82 engine issues.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
zimage
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100 Standard

'82 engine issues.

Postby zimage » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:55 pm

Hello,

History: bought the bike a week ago, cheap. I knew it would need some work. Most of the time, it starts perfectly. One short push on the starter is all it needs to get going. But once it starts having issues, it takes a day to settle down. I start hearing misfires when I go up hills and the engine RPM is under 2000. After about 5-10 minutes of riding, the ride gets a lot rougher.

PO had the carbs rebuilt by Pistol Pete. Haven't been synchronised yet though. I'll be borrowing a 4-gauge carb-sync unit in a few days. Could that simply be the issue?

PO replaced the timing belt and reset timing (http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3304#p12098). Should I buy an inductive timing lamp and verify that his work was done right?

I've made some videos, in the hopes that someone will hear the smoking gun.

I took the bike for a quick ride around the block a few times over my lunch break. When I was done with the ride, I turned it off and it either wouldn't start at all(engine cranks, but never gets going), or would maybe run for half a second before dying. There were still symptoms after getting home from work, although it would start by then. It idles pretty well in this state, but as soon as it's given a little gas, the engine will start to choke off, or stall, or something, until the throttle or RPM passes some threshold where it comes alive again.

Many thanks for any help for my inexperienced hands,
Tim Nowaczyk

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: '82 engine issues.

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:29 pm

Those "thumps" that you're hearing are misfires - a cylinder is failing to fire, which imbalances the whole engine for a cycle, and you can feel the vibration. Overall, even when the engine is not misfiring, it's not sounding right - it's just running rough. It should be a lot more smooth sounding when coming up off of idle. That can absolutely be caused by a timing belt off by a tooth.

I would pull the timing belt covers off, line up the T mark and re-check the timing. If one (or both!) of those belts is off by a tooth, correcting it will make that engine run so much more smoothly, you won't believe it's the same bike.

It's possible for carb sync to cause bad idle and off-idle performance, but unless it's REALLY bad, I doubt that's the problem. Of course, if the carbs need to by synched anyway (and they do, being that they've been rebuilt), that's much easier than pulling the timing belt covers off, so perhaps that's where you should start. :)

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:23 am

Rebuilt how long ago..has it sat for long? Sure sounds like carb issues..but check for strong spark on plugs..all plugs out laying on engine crank in a dark place and check for nice fat blue/white spark, timing issues..from belts or electronic ignition. Do easy stuff first..spark, valves, belts/timing then carbs.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

zimage

Postby zimage » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:07 am

RBGERSON: carbs were rebuilt about no more than two months ago. PO had it for 3 months, and did a ton of work, but ran out of time (He's a school teacher. Summer break was over). I bought a spark gap tester from Advance Auto Parts, and can put at least a quarter inch gap between the prongs while maintaining a spark. Checking valve clearances is on my list of stuff to check.

While looking through the service manual in the ignition troubleshooting section, i see references to a three-point tester for the coils. All the auto parts shops just have a tester that you plug one end into the spark plug cap and the other is clipped to the chassis. Do these tools check different things? Should I get a three-point coil tester and, if so, where do I get one. I've run out of google-fu.

Thanks to you both for helping me prioritize my checklist.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:31 am

If you have a nice fat/white spark on the plugs your coils are probably OK some will crap out where they get hot. "test" you coils primary and secondary with a meter..by checking resistance also the wire continuity too. Spec are in the manual.. check cold and then after a run..Other things to check include; your ignition "points" and spark advance and the vacuum line to it, check the coils for cracks..you might try running it in a dark garage and looking for spark/arcing..when it's hot.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:20 am

Like WingAdmin, I would be suspicous of the timing belts.. The engine is not runing correctly and not knowing the competancy of the mechanic that changed the timing belts, that would be my first check point. If they are installed incorrectly you can start damaging the engine very quickly, so I would be checking them just for peace of mind and to be sure they are not causing the rough running. If the timing belts are installed correctly, then your description really does sound like a fuel issue. I would be looking to remove the carbs and blowing them out with compressed air to make sure all jets and passages are clear of gunk/dirt (don't forget to check fuel flow to the carbs (no blocked fuel filters!).

Gary

goldtr6c
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Postby goldtr6c » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:29 am

It sounds like you're starving for fuel on 1, maybe 2 cylinders. This is based on the symptom I hear in the recording you have 1 cylinder that matnot be firing at all. Have you drained the float bowls to see if maybe one of the float needles may be stuck closed? It could be as simple as getting those carbs synced out since you had them overhauled. This would be my first priority, then if it doesn't clear up, I'd pull the carbs and check the filter screens under the float needles for rust.

zimage

Postby zimage » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Well, here's an update. My parents have been visiting so I haven't been able to devote any time the past few days. Today, I checked the valve clearances. All of the gaps were about .002 inches too wide. I set the intake clearances to .004 and the exhaust to .005 like the service manual says.

The longest ride I had ever done on this bike before it got too rough and would die was about 4 miles. After making this change, I put about 10 miles on it and it would start up fine after turning it off. It's still not perfectly smooth, but no misfires anymore. I'll be doing a carb sync this next week.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”