How to reinstall crankcase and belts

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
goldwingingit
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate

How to reinstall crankcase and belts

Post by goldwingingit » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm in the process of replacing the head gaskets. The first one on the right hand side of the engine is in, and now I'm trying to reinstall the crankcase and belt on the right hand side.

This is what I've been doing but I think something is wrong:
  • Manually rotate engine to TDC 1.
    Put the crankcase together with that pulley (cog?) aligned with 'up' at the top.
    If I don't hold that pulley/cog in place then it wants to rotate forward/counterclockwise, so I hold it in place and then torque down the crankcase. It stays in place
    Engine is still at TDC 1
    When I go to put the belts on, I loop it around, loosen the belt tensioner bolt, put it over the tensioner and tighten it.
    Everything seems good at this point but when I check to see where the engine is, I see it's no longer at TDC1 :shock: .
Is that a problem? It doesn't seem intuitively right to me that I could continue on to adjust the valves at that point because it seems like the camshaft is not aligned properly? :?

I have tried to follow the guide included in the ''how to replace head gaskets guide'', but while I appreciate that guy's effort I just can't really understand his English well-enough. This is the first time I've ever worked this deep into an engine so it's been an uphill battle.

Sage wisdom, common sense, how-to's etc. will all be much appreciated here. This is the last problem facing this Goldwing! I wanna get to the other head gasket and get this on the road while the weather is still good this week in Seattle! :D

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: How to reinstall crankcase and belts

Post by Wilcoy02 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:17 pm

When you rotated the engine to TDC1 did you make sure that was the side the valves are open. You need to rotate TDC 2 times for a complete revolution of the engine.