1981 GL 1100 bike won't start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
crumbliss.r639
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing GL1100

1981 GL 1100 bike won't start

Post by crumbliss.r639 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:20 pm

Quick back ground I bought this 1981 GL 1100 off of OfferUp for $300. The guy said it just needed timing belts installed and it would be good to go. I knew that was a line of bull from the get-go but I figured $300 for a fully dressed Goldwing even if I have to replace the engine I'm still making out.

I brought the bike home put it up on the jack stands or the bike stand and installed the timing belts. I checked then the compression on each cylinder the two and four side both cylinders have about a hundred and ten PSI of compression but the one in three had zero compression. So I pulled the head on that side and the intake valves were both bent so obviously this guy had tried to turn the motor over with the valve or with the cam in the wrong place. I went ahead and bought a replacement head from eBay and when they had came in I cleaned it up resurfaced it, reground the valves put it all back together and reinstalled it.
A very carefully ensured that everything was properly lined up. The motor was at number 1 top dead center, and the cams were all properly set. I have compression still at approximately 110 on cylinders 2 & 4 and 110 on 3 and about 95 on number one. So there's a minor problem with the number one cylinder not sure what it is yet but I'm still happy at 95.
The problem is now the bike won't start. It cranks beautifully everything seems to be working. I bought new spark plugs gapped at 33. I checked the spark on every cylinder and it's bright and hot. So I'm thinking the carbs.
So now I'm coming to you guys to see if there's anything you can think of short of pulling the carbs that I can do to figure out what's wrong why it won't start. I don't even get an attempted fire out of any cylinder. I did check I pulled the line off of the fuel pump between the fuel pump in the carbs and cranked it to ensure that it wasn't fact pumping fuel. I just don't know where to go next.

I figured since I have a spark in with the switch on run that it's working properly. As far as electrical goes it seems like if I have spark than all the electrical is doing what it's supposed to do. Can I spray like carb cleaner or something in there to check and see if it fires? Is there any other techniques or methods that you guys know of and can point me at or explain to me to try and figure out what's going on, do you need more information pictures tell me what you need and I will provide.

And since its December 25th Merry Christmas everyone may you be blessed by whatever God you do or do not believe in.

crumbliss.r639

Re: 1981 GL 1100 bike won't start

Post by crumbliss.r639 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:22 pm

I apologize for the grammar in that post, I am dictating voice to text and Google is lame.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Spark compression and fuel.Seems like you hot 2 out of the three.
You can spray some stuff in the plenum if you want to hear it pop but it's probably just as well to open one of the drain plugs on the bottom of a carb and see if it has fuel in it.
Ya didn't forget to put in gas and turn the lever to reserve didja?

crumbliss.r639

Post by crumbliss.r639 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:29 pm

No, as I mentioned I even pulled the hose from the fuel pump o make sure it's working. I will pull the drain plug and see what I get. At this point even a pop would give me valuable info.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:18 am

I vote plugged idle jets..yep spray some gas in the plenum have a fire ext. close by just in case..if she starts probably = clogged idle jets..if she sat for any lenght of time with gas in the carbs = clogged idle jets..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

crumbliss.r639

Post by crumbliss.r639 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:50 am

Im not great at this video thing, couldnt figure out how to make it small enough to do much with, so I put it on Youtube. Here is the link...

After who knows how long this dear beauty has been sitting, left and alone, forgotten in a pile of detritus in a cold and dark storage locker, she finally, on this the last day of 2017, roared majestically to life, if only for a few brief moments.

This is a very heartening sign. She does in fact live!!! Granted, the bike is still in the intensive care unit, needing many more surgeries until she is completely healed, the life support machines have been taken away, her heart is beating once again, and I know she will pull through, I just need to keep my head up and believe she will once again cruise victoriously down the highways and byways of this great land.

Thank you all for your help so far, believe me when I say... I am not done with you all yet!

I am thinking about painting her... What do you think about something akin to this

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:12 am

As you have mentioned - it lives, now it needs some TLC so it can live longer and healthier.

First issue sounds like plugged carbs - so off they come for a good clean - don't be dismayed they may need a second clean - because once you clean them - do it again as you probably missed some passages etc..

Fresh fuel helps and fuel filter - and maybe a little bit of coolant - just in case :)

Reset your valves and give it a nice oil change/filter/plugs and air filter. Change the final drive oil - maybe do the brakes or at least inspect front and rear, flush some new fluid through them, and don't forget your final drive lube on the splines.

Then you can worry about electrical/suspension

Last thing to my mind is paint..

Fix or at least get to know your girl before you tart her up - nothing worse than breaking down it costs time and money and frustration - you might look good but you might feel like a goose too.

Cheers

I think you have a good start - good luck

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:15 am

BEFORE YOU RUN HER AGAIN CHANGE THE TIMING BELTS!!!
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

crumbliss.r639

Post by crumbliss.r639 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:52 am

Changing timing belts is already done. That was what the previous owner started and messed up, so I had to repair the heads and replace the belts to get to this point.

Thank you so much for that list. I had some of that on my list already, oil change, filters, plugs are already new.. but I had not thought about the final drive and brakes. The paint is going to be last on the list though. That was just an idea

crumbliss.r639

Post by crumbliss.r639 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:39 pm

*Sigh*

I am certain many of you have felt this very feeling. That point where everything is going wonderfully. You are on top of the world, riding high, soaring with giddiness that all your work is finally coming to a point where you can sit proudly upon your newly repaired steed and ride off into the sunset...

and then....

In one instant it all changes. You hear 'that' sound. You know what 'that' sound is. Its not always the same sound, but you know it the instant you hear it. Its the sound of failure. Its the sound of all your hard work coming to naught. Its that mechanical sound that rings loudly in your ears and tells you that the Goldwing Goombah is not smiling upon you any longer.

Today, for me, 'that' sound was the sound of a valve breaking in two; the head snapping cleanly from the shaft at 4000 rpms and stopping the engine instantly. It was a sound that I thought for certain meant I would be shopping for a replacement motor. The sound of mechanical death. However, the Goldwing Goombah did not punish me completely. As I gingerly removed the head I had just repaired and looked with fearful eyes at the piston and cylinder, much to my surprise I found no permanent damage to either. Thank the Goombah for that!

Now, I go shopping for replacement valves. I would buy a new head if I knew where to find one, but I have 3 of them lying here now, I feel that with new valves I should be able to get ONE of them going.

the other problem, the one I have not even begun to figure out, is that in about 30 seconds of running the engine, all the antifreeze I put into it is now in the exhaust. How in the world did that happen? Did I miss an o-ring somewhere? The oil looks fine, so WTF ?!?!

I lost all my motivation for today, im going to go cry myself to sleep for a while and dream of wind in my hair, bugs in my teeth, and a beautiful woman's arms wrapped around me, riding off gleefully into the evening sunset.

Mr moe
Motorcycle: GL1100A

Post by Mr moe » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:25 pm

I purchased a complete set of valves from this company.
Along with a lot of other stuff.
Great company to deal with.

https://www.siriusconinc.com/
$-------&

Collection and Preservation
Canadian Tube Radios, Communication Equipment, Vintage Ham gear and Military Radios.
Hallicrafters, RCA, National, Hammarlund,TMC, RME and Racal.

And Now Bikes Too.

Don't part them out ---- Restore them.

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 pm

crumbliss.r639 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:39 pm

the other problem, the one I have not even begun to figure out, is that in about 30 seconds of running the engine, all the antifreeze I put into it is now in the exhaust. How in the world did that happen? Did I miss an o-ring somewhere? The oil looks fine, so WTF ?!?!

Probably when that valve broke it punched a hole in the head through to the water jacket and the coolant drained into the exhaust port.