1980 GL1100 Idle Too high

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
paolonicholas
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Naked

1980 GL1100 Idle Too high

Post by paolonicholas » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:49 am

I need some help diagnosing this high idle problem I have. When I first got the bike, it would idle low and sometimes high and the idle adjustment screw did the trick. Now, I have the screw all the way backed out and it idles at 2000-3500 RPM(mostly 3000). I though it was a vacuum leak from my fuel pump because my pump was leaking fuel out the weep hole and I assumed the damaged diaphragm in the pump caused a vacuum leak. Today I replaced the fuel lines, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly and my fuel leak got fixed, obviously, but high idle speed is still a problem. Intake boots look in great condition but I will vacuum test them. Have not cleaned or rebuilt the carbs. I’ve already checked the choke cable and throttle return. Exhaust mufflers are chopped off so I’m running straights. Bike runs great, but have a lot of exhaust back fire. No other problems but high idle. I stay in the friction zone at stoplights to keep the rpm below 2000 to be considerate of my my obnoxiously loud exhaust.