Knocking from engine when idol

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Clamper768
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda goldwing go 1100

Knocking from engine when idol

Post by Clamper768 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:48 am

OK hello I'm new to the group recently purchased a 1983 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL 1100 and it's been sitting for awhile idk how to do carbs also dont really have much as far ass tools...ive flushed the gas I've already changed the oil antifreeze tried bleeding the brakes air filter gasket I haven't done spark plugs and wires yet but I just got my spark plugs in so that's going to be next but I was wondering what could be causing the loud knocking at a low RPM and then having issues taking as if the clutch is not fully grabbing. Also not wanting to go into gear or going into neutral when bike is not moving but will go into neutral while moving.. And my rear brakes won't work also also the back tire seems to be rubbing how do I fix that as well your guys's feedback will be greatly appreciated as this is my very first motorcycle so thanks in advance and any tips and clues as far as anything goes really when comes to the motorcycle would be appreciated

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Knocking from engine when idol

Post by DaveO430 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:19 am

It probably has at least 1 plugged idle circuit in the carbs, they will knock when they don't idle smooth. Sounds like you have a lot of work that needs to be done that you are not prepared to do. Is the clutch slipping and also dragging? Do you know you have to bleed the right front brake with the rear brake? You probably need a new rear tire/tires, they seem to get wider with age and probably too old to be safe anyway.

Clamper768

Post by Clamper768 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:32 am

Yes its like its a doing a burn out but moving and no burn just a sluggish take off.. And yes I figured the brake thing by trial and error..and should I just get tire from like American tire? Or do have to go to a certain store.ie Harley ect.. Also how would i clear the block in the carb thing.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Post by Dusty Boots » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:04 am

Make sure your swing arm isn't rusted near the front and rubbing on tire. Carbs probably need to be synced. Won't hurt to add a half can of SeaFoam to the gas tank and let it idle for quite a while to help clean carbs. Adjust clutch cable properly. Make sure rear master cylinder port not plugged as that causes rear brake pistons to not fully release. As mentioned, bleed front right caliper 1st, then rear one as they are linked

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:57 am

Clamper768 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:32 am
Yes its like its a doing a burn out but moving and no burn just a sluggish take off.. And yes I figured the brake thing by trial and error..and should I just get tire from like American tire? Or do have to go to a certain store.ie Harley ect.. Also how would i clear the block in the carb thing.
I see a clutch rebuild coming, if it both drags and slips something in there is wrong. You get motorcycle tires from a motorcycle shop or online.

Clamper768

Post by Clamper768 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:50 pm

OK thanks I will do my bestImage

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:14 pm

I would sync the carbs first. The motor will definitely knock if they are out of sync enough. Here is a nice list of things to tackle for a bike that has been sitting for a while.

http://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a- ... /#more-687

Get yourself the Honda service manual as well and get that thing ready to ride. Don't even look at the cost, it will probably scare you.

Clamper768

Post by Clamper768 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:32 pm

OK so I got it to stay running today even rode it around.. And it rides shifts kinda hard but the knock has went away drastically.so I think its vacume leak it has a hard time going into gears sometimes when up shifting from first so

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:19 am

There is a gentleman here that will do a carb rebuild for you reasonably, but insists on using the Randakk kits. Although they are quality, they are pricey as well. I think that it is a rare bike that doesn't need a carburetor cleaning / rebuild.

You got that, a clutch rebuild, tires and brake service. The tutorials here are the best. And I mean not only for Gold Wing repair, but as good as any tutorials you'll find on the interwebs. Dave0430 made a good comment about all the work you have before you; it is daunting. You're going to need a good place to work, the right tools, the right parts and the wherewithal to do the work. And several hundred dollars just with what I've mentioned. That doesn't even consider all of the things you ARE going to find as you go along.

As Chip and Joann asks, Are you ready for a fixer upper?