82' Goldwing Won't Start (Choke problem, idle problem, lots of problems)

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
81goldwingjeremy
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing GL 1100 Aspencade (Naked)

82' Goldwing Won't Start (Choke problem, idle problem, lots of problems)

Post by 81goldwingjeremy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Hey friends! So I just picked up my third Goldwing yesterday, a 1982 GL 1100 fairing-less Aspencade. After talking quite a lot with the previous owner, I decided to buy it from him. It ran fine during the test ride, everything seemed to check out great, so I bought it and rode it 2 hours back home. I stopped for lunch an hour into my trip and the bike was idling very high (around the 4k range) and continued to idle that high until I eventually parked it in my garage when I got home. When popped into 1st it will take off on it's own, without me hitting the throttle. It almost seems like a pinched throttle line, but I checked that (as much as I could and it seems fine). I also noticed some hesitation at mid-throttle, but then once I gave it a good twist, it would catch up and give me a blast of power. Anyway, I got it back home late last night and tried to start it up this morning (after sitting in heated garage overnight) and it turns over fine, but will not fire. Now, I noticed a few things. 1) The choke (which previous owner said he never had to use) was locked completely shut and unable to move. 2) there is a yellow hose line hanging out - unattached to anything, on the right side of the bike, just under where the gas cap is. Can someone tell me what that is and where it goes? Does anybody know why I could be having the high idle/throttle response issue? Could it be something to do with the choke - even though it is sealed shut and not engaged? Any comments are GREATLY appreciated! I'm hoping to do some great things with this bike. :)
Attachments

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 82' Goldwing Won't Start (Choke problem, idle problem, lots of problems)

Post by Hoosier Jack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Sounds like you're going to become intimate with your carbs. Get them off and start the cleaning. Let us know if you haven't done it before; plenty of help here.

81goldwingjeremy
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing GL 1100 Aspencade (Naked)

Post by 81goldwingjeremy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Yeah, I think it's going to have to happen regardless. I have to assume the last owner didn't do any maintenance on it. How difficult are the carbs to take off and clean? Any tips, tricks, etc. that could save me some time and/or slaps on the forehead?

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:54 pm

click on the How- To articles above it is on any page.