82 interstate aftermarket stereo install help

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
ButterClutz
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 interstate

82 interstate aftermarket stereo install help

Post by ButterClutz » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:37 pm

Hey this is my first post :). I got a Pyle marine stereo and was going to install it where the tape deck is. I took the tape deck out of the casing, clipped the wires from the harness to remove tape deck from case. I got the stereo to fit but now i have wires that i dont know what they do. Cant seem to find a color code for these anywhere. Anyone ever do this successfully? Ive seen them installed on the dash but not in the old tape deck spot.

ButterClutz

Re: 82 interstate aftermarket stereo install help

Post by ButterClutz » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Oh! And the stereo i got is a Pyle PLMR18 . its actually smaller and shorter than the tape deck so it fits fine. I got the pyle 180w 4inch speakers to replace the stock clarion speakers. Much louder. The center cone on the speakers stick out a little so it bent out the plastic grill of the speaker housing slightly but not too bad.

ButterClutz

Post by ButterClutz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:19 am

I can't figure out how to post an image on here yet haha. But i have 2 wires that are obviously speaker wire, a black for ground, now theres green, blue and yellow. But no red. It would be a lot less confusing if there was a red for 12v power. And thats it. So this is unusual and probably because of the cb/radio/grip controls that its not like a usual color code. :?

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Post by jeffcosmo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:01 am

Have you removed the entire radio system, or just the cassette deck?? The OEM radio system is a hybrid and comprises a lot of components because it has been separated into discrete units. AFAIK, these components will NOT work with any other components from any other brands (save the speakers).

Too, getting a wiring diagram will help you a lot. Seems to me that most aftermarket manuals do have wiring diagrams for your bike.

Cosmo

ButterClutz

Post by ButterClutz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks Cosmo. I took the tape deck out of its case that detaches. I was hoping to just replace it with the marine stereo so it functions the same (being able to easily remove the stereo). I just cant figure out where the power wire is.

ButterClutz

Post by ButterClutz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:35 pm

I just nned to know what the green, blue, and yellow wires do. Im sure i can use a peice of wire to bridge the ones i cant hook up to the unit.

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:47 pm

I replaced the radio on my 82 and this is what I did.

1. Disconnect the battery.

2. The radio will have two red wires and they both need to be hooked up. I put one on the + battery side and the other to the accessory side of the fuse box. This will enable the radio to have constant power to keep your settings intact. I have been assured (and have confirmed) that keeping one red wire to the battery will not draw enough power to produce a parasitic drain enough to damage the battery.

Having the other red wire connected to the accessory port will allow the radio to come on when the key is turned on. Clean the contacts while you are there.

3. Find a good ground and hook up the black wire.

4. You will need to trace all of the speaker wires. I have four speakers so I had to connect all four. They seem to have a universal convention to them. Purple to left front for example, and I'm not sure that is right. Be sure to to use the black striped wires for the ground lines to maintain the correct polarity. Your speakers should be marked + or -. Use decent electrical connections and good wire; soldering preferred.

5. As mentioned above there are several components to the OEM Honda Radio and you will probably not need them. Not sure why you would and I would take it all out. There are people that want them, and there are people who will repair them as well. Do what you like there.

Good luck, it's not as scary as one might think. I did it.

ButterClutz

Post by ButterClutz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 pm

Yeah that sounds like the best way. I wanted to keep the original setup so as not to take away from what it is. Sadly, 82 is becoming "classic" haha. Where did all those years go? 😞
My goldwing has ALL the bells and whistles. Tape deck just stopped working. That's why i was trying to just swap it out with the marine radio. Plus it has an auxiliary. If it had AM i MIGHT take out the old radio but i like being able to get Coast to coast am.

BRYuma43
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by BRYuma43 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:10 pm

I did something similar to Hoosier Jack. Ran wires from new radio through the accessory fuse and to the existing speakers. I disregarded any current wiring. Left the old radio in place until I want that space to modify for storage etc. I did remove the old amp while I was digging around in the fairing.

I put the radio between the speakers to the left of the volt meter. Looks pretty good. The radio is a bit too deep, so the dash sticks out from the fairing/windshield a little, but not too much. Mine is a 83 Aspencade and there were two "dummy" spots in the dash next to the volt meter. I just snipped the plastic between the two and used a dremel to modify the opening a little so the new radio fit snug through it.

Hoosier Jack

Post by Hoosier Jack » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:03 am

BRYuma43 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:10 pm
I did something similar to Hoosier Jack. Ran wires from new radio through the accessory fuse and to the existing speakers. I disregarded any current wiring. Left the old radio in place until I want that space to modify for storage etc. I did remove the old amp while I was digging around in the fairing.

I put the radio between the speakers to the left of the volt meter. Looks pretty good. The radio is a bit too deep, so the dash sticks out from the fairing/windshield a little, but not too much. Mine is a 83 Aspencade and there were two "dummy" spots in the dash next to the volt meter. I just snipped the plastic between the two and used a dremel to modify the opening a little so the new radio fit snug through it.
Maybe take a picture of your install. I too have a problem with the radio being a bit too long. I put mine on the right side of the fairing which is inconvenient for a couple of reasons and it does stick out some due to having a CD player in the unit. But I was having the same problem on the left side and putting the receiver there took away the storage I had that was easily accessed.

Settling for a receiver without the CD player was probably smarter since those units are shorter, but I wanted the player. Most people now just need to use the radio, bluetooth functionality for phone and, say, Pandora. Or the music on their phone. And if your phone's data plan is a good one that might be all you need. I like Amazon Prime and Pandora but it will use up my data limits in good order.

I also decided to scrap the OEM 4" speakers for 6" Kenwoods and moved the OEMs to the trunk and got new Kenwood 4" for that. I have a better balance of sound and higher, clearer volume. Here's a picture.

I did try to put in amp, but the amp went bad and is now in the shop. I'm going to put it in my truck when it gets back.

BRYuma43

Post by BRYuma43 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:35 pm

I'll send a pic when I get home. I put all my cds on my computer and load songs on a flash drive. The deck I have is shallower because it doesn't have a cd player.

BRYuma43

Post by BRYuma43 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:26 pm

A couple pics. The head unit is from walmart. About $20. Works great so far

Hoosier Jack

Post by Hoosier Jack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:20 pm

That looks fine and at $20 you can keep on replacing it indefinitely. Maybe put some black electrical tape on the sides of the radio to kinda hide where it sticks out. Never notice it.