Needing opinions on engine issues

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Clay3Weil
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100

Needing opinions on engine issues

Post by Clay3Weil » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:51 pm

I Bought an 81 GoldWing aspencade, when I got it the heads had cracks in them due to sitting for a long period of time and moisture seeping in. I removed the heads and checked out the cylinders and pistons and they are all good no issues. I added all new oil, filters, plugs etc, and put the heads back on (cracked) {knowing I would only be able to turn her over and if she fired I wouldn’t be able to run it more than 30 seconds to minute or two with no coolant in it} and tried turning her over and could tell that the crank and flywheel were stuck. I removed the crank case and cleaned everything up real good and took a socket to the kick start on the back and everything is moving real well pistons are all moving as should be and crank all turns when I do it by hand (haven’t tried turning it over yet with the starter) I made sure when I put the belts and everything back on that the timing was all lined up right and the T-1 was showing on top of the engine. What do y’all think? Can I try turning her over again with the starter and see if she’ll fire before I put money into buying the new heads?

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Needing opinions on engine issues

Post by DenverWinger » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:39 am

If you can turn the crank at least two full turns to confirm no interference (confirms valve timing) I see no reason to not try the starter.

Cracks? I don't see how just sitting could possibly crack a head, unless it was stored with only water for coolant and allowed to freeze hard. That would probably ruin the radiator, too. A small moisture seepage, even if frozen, shouldn't crack a head.

You could take the heads to an automotive machine shop, they have ways of testing for cracks...
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:54 am

DenverWinger wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:39 am
If you can turn the crank at least two full turns to confirm no interference (confirms valve timing) I see no reason to not try the starter.
The reason not to try the starter is the timing belts. If the belts are old (or of an unknown age), and ESPECIALLY if the engine has been sitting, as this one has, you need to replace those timing belts before attempting to spin it with the starter. You could easily take all this time to make sure the engine is in good shape, and then wreck it when you crank it over/start it because a timing belt gives way.

A new set of timing belts are cheap insurance.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:20 am

As wingadmin states fit new belts (Gates are only about $15 each on Amazon) and then try it. Also as stated the heads might be repairable (could be cheaper than buying new heads of unknown status from eBay!). The timing belts are really the only big risk, if they break you risk serious damage to the engine (assuming it starts), so for $30 change both belts and try it. If it doesn't start you can probably sell the belts on eBay for $20 so you just lost $10 and a few hours of your time!! Much better than having it start, get all excited and then a belt breaks and trashes your engine!!

Gary

Clay3Weil

Post by Clay3Weil » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:58 am

DenverWinger wrote:

Cracks? I don't see how just sitting could possibly crack a head, unless it was stored with only water for coolant and allowed to freeze hard. That would probably ruin the radiator, too. A small moisture seepage, even if frozen, shouldn't crack a head.

You could take the heads to an automotive machine shop, they have ways of testing for cracks...
It didn't make sense to me either, I figured it was blown up and I was screwed, its been laid over a few times on either side that's an obvious so that could be the reason for it to. I checked the cams, valves and rocker arms etc. everything is in good shape. the bikes only got 20xxx miles on it. I'm not exactly sure what the cracks in the heads would be from my best guesses would be freezing or from being laid over.

Clay3Weil

Post by Clay3Weil » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:54 am
DenverWinger wrote:
The reason not to try the starter is the timing belts. If the belts are old (or of an unknown age), and ESPECIALLY if the engine has been sitting, as this one has, you need to replace those timing belts before attempting to spin it with the starter. You could easily take all this time to make sure the engine is in good shape, and then wreck it when you crank it over/start it because a timing belt gives way.

I checked the belts over pretty good and they almost look like they had been replaced right before it was put up. No cracks or tears. and not any wear I could see. they looked pretty new and in good shape.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 am

Clay3Weil wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 am
WingAdmin wrote:
DenverWinger wrote:

I checked the belts over pretty good and they almost look like they had been replaced right before it was put up. No cracks or tears. and not any wear I could see. they looked pretty new and in good shape.
As has been mentioned many times here before, you cannot tell the condition of timing belts by inspecting them. They have fibers on the inside, and that is what wears. They do not stretch at ALL, by design (obviously, or else they wouldn't be much good as timing belts). As a result, they don't crack and wear like regular drive belts. A timing belt that is about to break the next time you start your engine can look exactly the same as one that will run just fine for the next 50,000 miles. You can't tell how old belts are by inspecting them - unless you know for sure when they were last replaced, then the time to replace them is now, before you crank the engine.

Especially because your engine has been sitting idle for a long time - this is one of the main things known to kill timing belts.

We have had so many users here over the years who have thought "well the belts look fine, it should be OK"....and then their next post is, "my timing belt broke, the engine made a really loud bang, and now it won't start. What do I do?" That's an expensive bang, and an expensive lesson.

Clay3Weil

Post by Clay3Weil » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:56 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 am
Clay3Weil wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 am
WingAdmin wrote:

As has been mentioned many times here before, you cannot tell the condition of timing belts by inspecting them. They have fibers on the inside, and that is what wears. They do not stretch at ALL, by design (obviously, or else they wouldn't be much good as timing belts). As a result, they don't crack and wear like regular drive belts. A timing belt that is about to break the next time you start your engine can look exactly the same as one that will run just fine for the next 50,000 miles. You can't tell how old belts are by inspecting them - unless you know for sure when they were last replaced, then the time to replace them is now, before you crank the engine.

Especially because your engine has been sitting idle for a long time - this is one of the main things known to kill timing belts.

We have had so many users here over the years who have thought "well the belts look fine, it should be OK"....and then their next post is, "my timing belt broke, the engine made a really loud bang, and now it won't start. What do I do?" That's an expensive bang, and an expensive lesson.

okay well I guess I'm gonna change both belts then haha! any suggestions on where tp get them or what brand/type

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Clay3Weil wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:56 pm

okay well I guess I'm gonna change both belts then haha! any suggestions on where tp get them or what brand/type
Gates T274. Amazon, NAPA or anywhere else that sells Gates belts.

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81, 82, 83GL1100 in stasis, CB350f x many, (CB400f x2 -sold cb550 -sold) 2012 cbr250 gymkhana, 2017 cb500x daily driver

Post by eklimek » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:13 pm

There are several posts on setting the new belts.

Mark the cogs and belts and count teeth as a back up.

Typically the starboard side moves during installation. It still runs poorly if that happens. Dont ask how I know.