1980 gl1100 vacuum advance surgery

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

1980 gl1100 vacuum advance surgery

Post by f1xrupr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:00 am

Bringing back an old topic-A few days ago, I pulled my 1100 engine for a new stator, and while I have it off, i thought I would replace the diaphragm in my vacuum advance (has never worked sence I've owned it-been plunged).
With Gods help, not only was I able to repair it, I was also able to leave it serviceable!
But, here's my point....there is no bleed-off function in that thing that I seen, and I looked vary good for one after reading some posts. It's a solid cloth-like mesh impregnated with a silicon type sealer, securely clamped between 2 rounded-edge washers. There is no relief valve, and the only prints on the metal washers is there to keep the spring centered.
The little screw behind the plug adjusts the fully engaged position (ie fully advanced timing adadjustment). Also, with the plug removed, mine does not leak down at all. I've seen reports that it should leak down at 3.8" of vac, I
disagree .If it's supposed to leak down at 3.8", and the carb(s) port pulls at 5"~ max, then, you have a vacuum leak. That would explain how some guys can test thairs down to 25", and still hold....just saying.

My exercise bike is a goldwing.