1982 GL1100 - is it worth getting it rideable?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Sardine
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

1982 GL1100 - is it worth getting it rideable?

Post by Sardine » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 am

Hi there,

My Dad has a 1982 GL1100. The bike was smoking and the clutch slipping, so the engine was removed and taken to a mechanic who found that the crankshaft bearings were shot.
He couldn't source any locally or internationally, and that's as far as it got. This was 4-5years ago. Before that, the bike wasn't really used and has been standing for about 8yrs.

My Dad wants to sell the bike, but as I took the covers off I remembered how badly I wanted to ride this bike, and it got me thinking "What if I keep it and put it back together myself?"

Someone offered in the region of $200 for everything (fairings, tank, rolling chassis, panniers, disassembled engine etc) and it just seems like robbery.

I have done a little research on the bearings in question, and it sounds complicated. I am not a mechanic- I know how to do an oil change on my car/motorbike, and I can change a tyre, and that is about it.

So I investigated buying a complete engine. Sourcing one in South Africa is difficult.

One company says they can provide me with a crankshaft and bearings with conrods for $300.
Now, from what I've read, it will be a nightmare for someone of my inexperience to try and piece the engine back together with those parts. Am I correct in thinking that?

I have found a couple of 1000cc engines - are they compatible with the 1100 frame?
I quite like the style of the bike with the fairings removed, so there would be a bit of a weight reduction, and I'm not a power-nut; the biggest bike I've ridden is a DR650 and that was more than enough power for me!

Unfortunately I won't be able to sink huge amounts of money into this project. I would say, $1000. Should I just sell it as is and try get $500 for it, or is it worth trying to get her running again?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: 1982 GL1100 - is it worth getting it rideable?

Post by DaveO430 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:51 am

Unless they are worth a lot more there than here $200 (US) would be a reasonable price if the body work is all good. Even if you bought the new crankshaft & bearings there are still several parts you would need to finish the job, there is still the smoking and bad clutch issues. Yes the 1000 engine is compatible but if you plan to strip it down to a standard anyway why not just buy one that is made that way? I't a lot more trouble than it looks.

Sardine
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Post by Sardine » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:41 am

Hi DaveO,

Thank you for your input.
I just find it sad that such a beautiful bike is worth so little. But I understand that the lack of parts is probably the major driving factor.

The smoke- I believe it was a gasket and a new gasket kit was fitted.

Unfortunately to buy a bike in half-decent condition here is over $3000. Newer models are closer to the $8000 mark.
And I figured hey, this one is already in the family.

Cheers

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:37 am

If your bike has been sitting for many years then you will probably have a great deal more to do than replacing the motor. Brakes, electrical, suspension, carburetors and more. I feel like the investment in time and money is worth it, but then I have an 82 and have put quite a bit of both into mine. Happy now.

I wouldn't even think about trying to rebuild the engine.

How about a picture. It's going to be pretty damn hard to find a motor on Pluto. :D

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:19 am

Don’t rule out a 1200 motor if any are available there. They will fit and give a boost to performance.

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81, 82, 83GL1100 in stasis, CB350f x many, (CB400f x2 -sold cb550 -sold) 2012 cbr250 gymkhana, 2017 cb500x daily driver

Post by eklimek » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Best of luck wrestling with nostalgia.

Firstly, no matter how much love, time and money you put in, it won’t be worth much. In fact it will be worth exactly what a buyer is willing to pay. Market value discounts emotion and dreams , usually to zero.

If you really wanted to pay homage to the idea, find another running gl1100 and deal with the cosmetics to make it indistiguishable from your fantasy.

If, for some compulsion, you want to do this take pictures, lots of pictures. Also get another gl1100 to use as a guide and spare parts source.

My bet is you have the impulse but will, like many, only strip it down and then it will sit unfinished. This is human nature, not criticism.

Strategy here is important. Like weight loss, start small and do one thing and revel in the success. Dont dismantle everything all at once, unless you have done it all before.

Rebuild some part of the bigger project and bask in that success.

Can you do it? Probably. No reason you can’t.

Will you? Maybe. Life gets in the way.

Best of luck.