RE-INSTALLING CARBS

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
OTTERCOMET
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 INTERSTATE

RE-INSTALLING CARBS

Post by OTTERCOMET » Fri May 04, 2018 2:17 pm

Is there a trick?? to getting the carbs back in position.

I know I had a hell of a time trying to get them out and after much giggling and pulling and cursing they finally came free.

I just spent an hour trying to get them back in. Float bowl of #2 seems to be hanging up on the crank case breather pipe between #2 and #4.
I get the carbs to the point where the throttle linkage is up against the front of the gas tank and the top front of the carb assembly is jammed against a 15 mm. nut that appears to be holding the fairing in place.

I haven't tried a hammer yet - but it is getting tempting!!!!!

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: RE-INSTALLING CARBS

Post by DaveO430 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:27 pm

Some of them are difficult, some are easy, just a couple mms different I guess. I have on 1 I took the bolt out of the top of the gas tank and pried it back a little, won't go much but it gave me enough room. Mostly it's a matter of holding your mouth right. ;)

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid » Fri May 04, 2018 8:16 pm

if what you are talking about is the top motor mount where it bolts to the frame i always remove that. yours may have nuts but the factory install is a nut welded to a tie bar going left to right. i remove both bolts so the tie bar with nuts can be removed. this gives just the little extra room you are looking for. the bolt on the right side is easily removed / installed with a ratchet but on the left a ratcheting box end works best as there is not enough room for a ratchet and socket. Best of Luck !!!

OTTERCOMET
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 INTERSTATE

Post by OTTERCOMET » Fri May 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks for the input. I went with the gas tank solution - least resistance (those cross member bolts did not want to let go) - allowed me to move the tank back about 1/4" to 3/8" which was all I needed - the carbs are now in position, with slides installed - now to get the intake pipes back on the carbs and tied down to the engine.