Too much gas in the cylinders

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

Too much gas in the cylinders

Postby dvcruz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:19 pm

Background info: 250 miles back I rebuilt the carbs on my '83 GL1100I. Bike ran pretty good. Three days ago I set the pilot screws and took a 10 mile ride and bike ran better (more power, smoother idle).

Yesterday I tried to warm the bike up for a ride and it started making lots of blue\grey smoke on the left side. This morning I removed the plugs (both sides) and turned the crank by hand. Gas spurted out of the left hand spark plug holes! Yikes.

Assuming i screwed up on the pilot screw adjustments, my plan to redo that little task. My questions are:

Any damage to the engine or rings I should worry about?
How do I go about drying out the gas (just let it evaporate?).
Any chance of gas in the oil system now?
Am I doomed????

Thanks for any advice you might provide.

Back in the San Diego area!

Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Too much gas in the cylinders

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Sounds tome like the float level in the carbs is set too high. with the bike on the side stand the floats are not shutting off the fuel . No serious damage done yet. you likely have fuel in your oil and need to change it out before running the engine for any length of time,diluted oil doesnt lube very well.

I would pull the carbs and check the float level before running it again,I know its a pain but better safe than sorry. New oil and filter and you should be good to go again.
If you are sure the float level is set correctly as per specs ,the problem is still the same.You can either shut the petcock off each time you shut the engine down and/or park the bike on the centerstand each time.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Too much gas in the cylinders

Postby dingdong » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:19 am

Probably no harm done. Remove plugs and crank the engine over, most of the fuel will blow out. Yes, likely to be fuel in the oil. Just change it out but don't run it til then. As to the cause of the problem, changing the pilot settings won't cause this and I for one don't think float settings change by themselves. You could have a float valve that isn't sealing or a float that is sticking. When you rebuilt the carbs, what brand carb kits did you buy? Many guys have had problems with aftermarket float valves that come with the kits. Seems the only ones that are reliable are OEM. I have had the same problem until I replaced the valves with OEM. Either way get ready to pull the carbs in order to check.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”