Engine run lean and smell unburn gas!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GK1100 Interstate

Engine run lean and smell unburn gas!

Postby robertduss » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:03 am

I purchase a 1983 Goldwing interstate and find that the engine is running lean and as a smell when running. Starts good, but after warming up, it will not idle on it's own. Also quite a few times, after warming up, it will stop and I will not be able to restart. There his no power whatsoever. No electrical at all . NO signal, horn or lights. I have to wait about ten minute, then it will restart. I need help as I am new to motorcycle.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Engine run lean and smell unburn gas!

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:36 pm

I think you may have two separate problems here. The electrical one could be the dogbone fuse. It's a relatively simple fix - have a look at this thread:

Main fuse assembly

You can replace it with a blade fuse as shown here.

Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Re: Engine run lean and smell unburn gas!

Postby raycw » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:12 am

The leanness sounds like a fuel delivery problem or plugged carb jets. It'd be a good idea to start with the fuel tank... see how much rust is in the tank and if the pickup screens in the bottom of the tank are plugged.

Also the fuel pump... check pressure and output. Check your manual for actual numbers and proceedure.

The most common problem with these... especially if they've sat for prolonged periods.... is clogging of the slow speed jets inside the carbs. You'll need to pull the carbs and it's good to pull the slow speed screws and clean the passages through there in addition to the slow speed jet. Check the float valves for wear and function, check the float levels after reassembly. Don't forget to check the piston diaphrams... they should slide smoothly up and down.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”