noisy tappet

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
punkies
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 interstate

noisy tappet

Postby punkies » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi everybody, i have not been on the site for a couple of months due to the soccer world cup that was not to long ago here in the good old RSA, been working my butt off, after i replaced my wings head gaskets did not get to ride much but now that im cruising, my cheek bums are a bit sore but to get to the point, when starting the wing up no tappet noise at all but when she is at oprt temp the right side tappets make a hell of a noise when i checked the gaps they were way to big, so i did it by the book like wingadmin explained, its all good when she is cold no noise at all, i cannot set the tappets any more im scared the lock not will come lose yes that is how far the tappets are set already im sure thay cannot be set any more, its the exhuast tappets 1&3 plz help anyone. :cry:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: noisy tappet

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:56 pm

So when you check them cold they are right on, but at operating temperature they are far too wide? Is that happening only on the right side?

punkies

Postby punkies » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16 pm

WingAdmin wrote:So when you check them cold they are right on, but at operating temperature they are far too wide? Is that happening only on the right side?

Yes, but if i drive for a days without setting them then they make a noise when shes cold as well, the n i know i must set them and yes its only the right side, but i cant set them any more they are set to the max.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:22 am

I must be missing something here. What do you mean by "set to the max"? Either they are set to the proper gap or they are not. Are you setting them with the engine cold or hot? Be a little more detailed please.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

punkies

Postby punkies » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:47 am

dingdong wrote:I must be missing something here. What do you mean by "set to the max"? Either they are set to the proper gap or they are not. Are you setting them with the engine cold or hot? Be a little more detailed please.

sorry, i am setting them when the bike is cold, for some or other reason the clearance gets bigger then i have to set the clearance again, what happened now is the lock nut and the grub screw is flush with each other, so now when the clearance gets bigger again i cannot set the clearance, the grub screw cannot turn in any further to set the clearance right, the lock nut wont lock the grub screw to tighten it up, the grub screw is turned in basicley all way, so no more clearance setting can be done, this is best way i can explain over the net.

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Might be a stupid response for this but is the rocker assembly seated and torqued correctly. It almost sounds like the assembly is setting up off the head itself.

punkies

Postby punkies » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:42 pm

That was the first thing i checked, i had a look again last night and what i saw could be the problem, #3 exhaust grub screw has little holes in it and a chip on the side also, the back of the valve were the grub screw pushes the valve to open is also damaged as if it nocked a dent into the back, so trying to set the clearance wont make a differance the noise will still be there and if i look at the valve spring from the side it looks as if the valve and vale spring is bent towards the ground, but what im going to do is remove the head completley and strip the whole head and see what i can replace and slap it back on again, I will keep you guys updated of the progress and add some photos as i go along, but this will only happen on a weekend, cheers for now.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”