Clarion Radio problem!!!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
flyboyziel56
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100I
1982 GL 1100A
1981 GL 1100I

Clarion Radio problem!!!

Postby flyboyziel56 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:21 pm

OK guy's I need a radio Guru to help me diag: this problem!. i have a Clarion II on my Interstate and when I got it the system worked good. I have intercom, CB, and AM/FM on it. Don't know if the intercom works yet because I haven't got there yet. I know the CB works because I can hear them talk on it. I know the Radio works but the up/down buttons never worked. The remote on the handle bar worked up until I swapped it out. I'll explaine. I got another controller from Stu and installed it. Everything worked perfect. Radio, up/down buttons, clock, memory, everything. Then all of a sudden the thing get's stuck on a channel. Now the memory, clock, up/down button won't work. I even lost the remote station switch on the handle bar. I tried to swap out the controller again with the original one and stil no difference....... Could the Tuner be causing all of these problems? Nothing in the users manual or the installation manuals covers this!!!. I'm fustrated in it and need some help!!. I don't know enough about the system to trouble shoot it properly. Thanks in advance. Cheers Allan
:?: :?: :?:

Allan L. Vanderziel

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Clarion Radio problem!!!

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:42 pm

The symptoms you're describing are fairly common. The "controller" is not much more than some knobs and buttons. All the intelligence and logic is actually inside the tuner. Parts in the tuner (capacitors, mostly) wear out after a number of years, and the result is what you're experiencing. If you had access to the internal schematics and knew what to look for, it's not that hard - but nobody seems to have the schematics. Most people ship the tuners off to Sierra MC, who are, to my knowledge, the only people left in the world who fix these things. They will fix it for a flat $100 and ship it back to you. They're actually pretty nice people.

The CB - you can hear people on it, but can they hear you? Often it's the transmitter portion of the CB that will die, leaving the receiver working normally. You might want to check that.

flyboyziel56
1982 GL 1100A
1981 GL 1100I

Postby flyboyziel56 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:21 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The symptoms you're describing are fairly common. The "controller" is not much more than some knobs and buttons. All the intelligence and logic is actually inside the tuner. Parts in the tuner (capacitors, mostly) wear out after a number of years, and the result is what you're experiencing. If you had access to the internal schematics and knew what to look for, it's not that hard - but nobody seems to have the schematics. Most people ship the tuners off to Sierra MC, who are, to my knowledge, the only people left in the world who fix these things. They will fix it for a flat $100 and ship it back to you. They're actually pretty nice people.

The CB - you can hear people on it, but can they hear you? Often it's the transmitter portion of the CB that will die, leaving the receiver working normally. You might want to check that.

I kinda had my sights on the tuner being the problem behind all of this!!. After all the controller is just a source to transmitt it self to another unit right?. I believe I have another tuner in an Aspencade in my shop that was given to me!. Is there any difference in the hookup if the 2 are of the same year?. And as for the C/B, I don't have any intercom or a source to transmit to find out!. I need to find someone that has a headset that they are willing to sell and then I can check it out on the rest of the unit!. Don't know where to start on the headset?. Need one for a modular helmet. Thank you so much for you advice on this. Cheers Allan
Allan L. Vanderziel

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Look at the classifieds on this site there are a couple of sets for sale here.Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Just looked thru classified there were some headset in there the other day but could not find them today. Look in goldwing stuff,ebay,there are a lot of sites that have them for sale Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:40 am

All the Clarion type II tuners are interchangeable, so if you have another one, it should just plug right in.

Check to see if the "TX" light lights up when you transmit on the CB. A lot of the time, when the transmitter fails on the CB, the TX light won't light up when you transmit, so that's a good way to tell even without a headset.

flyboyziel56
1982 GL 1100A
1981 GL 1100I

Postby flyboyziel56 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:32 pm

WingAdmin wrote:All the Clarion type II tuners are interchangeable, so if you have another one, it should just plug right in.

Check to see if the "TX" light lights up when you transmit on the CB. A lot of the time, when the transmitter fails on the CB, the TX light won't light up when you transmit, so that's a good way to tell even without a headset.

Edit Edit Source PM Quote Reply
flyboyziel56

Goldwing: GL1100 Interstate, GL1100 Aspencade
Mileage: 79,0000
Mana:

I just completely replaced the tuner with another one out of an Aspencade and now the clock works, but the Radio is still on 1 channel. Changed the switch with another one to see if that was the problem and "NO"!!. Well I'm at a lost as to what it could be. All connections were undone, and redone. All fuses were replaced(By the way there are 8 fuses total if you have the C/B, and intercom). I have replaced switches, Tuner, Radio Controller, and Distribution Controller. I don't know where to check next??. I think I'm going to buy a Radio and mount in inbetween the indicators on the front of the fairing and be done with it!!! Cheers Allan
:?:?

Attached Image (viewed 0 times):

Honda%20Goldwing%20Clarion%20Type%20II%20Radio%20Installation%20Manual-BE03B.pdf (SECURED) - Adobe Reader.bmp

Allan L. Vanderziel

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”