New bike questions.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
CapnDenny1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

New bike questions.

Postby CapnDenny1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:11 pm

OK, I just put half down on a 1982 Goldwing Interstate. I will pick it up next week. It needs work on the charging circuit, but otherwise it seems OK. I had a few questions.

It started up just fine once the battery was charged. But at idle it seems to run a little rough. At 2 or 3 thousand RPM it was smooth but at idel seemed rough to me. To tell the truth this was the first time I'd ever heard a goldwing up close so I don't know for sure. I am hoping that it just needs the carbs sinked which I understand would make it idle a little rough.

I also could hear a little bit of valve clatter on one side more than the other. I'm hoping this just means they need to be adjusted. I used to have VW Beetles with solid lifters, and I know you could always hear the clatter a little bit.

I test rode it today and it seemed to ride really nice. For a big bike it seemed very easy to control. I had a little trouble gettign my right foor on the brake pedal. Can the seat move on this bike? I thought I read that in the owner's manual but I couldn't find it. I think if I could move the seat back a few inches, then I can get a better angle on the brake pedal. My arthritus didn't want to let me bend my knee back that far and raise by toes. Good thing for the front brake.

I posted the picture that the previous owner sent me on my picture section. I will pick it up next week and I am excited to get to riding.

Take care all, and thanks for the site,

Dennis

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: New bike questions.

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:19 am

Hi Dennis,

These bikes do need to have their cabs synced as part of regular maintenance - and that could definitely cause the stumbling at low RPM. Low voltage can also cause stumbling like you describe - the stator doesn't generate enough power to charge the battery until about 2,000 RPM, so below that you're really running off battery power - and if the battery is low, you can get stumbling at low RPM. Of course, usual suspects like carb idle jets can also cause it.

The seat can move - a little bit. If you look on the left side of the seat, near the back, there's a lever you can pull that will release it so it can slide forwards and back.

As for valve clatter, the valves do need adjustment from time to time - not often, but they do go out. It's a relatively cheap and easy thing to do, because the valve covers are hanging out there in the wind - pull them off, do the valves, put a new gasket on, and you're done.

Overall, the bike looks great, and I'm sure you're going to love it - they really are fantastic bikes, and once you get used to the weight (which is all very low down to the ground - it's amazing how low the engine and transmission mass is in the frame), you'll realize you can really throw these bikes around.

CapnDenny1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Re: New bike questions.

Postby CapnDenny1 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:33 am

Thanks for the information. I found the seat adjustment in the owners manual, but when I was looking at the bike I couldn't find it in his owner's manual, which I guess is My owner's manual now?

You have a great site here with a lot of useful and easy to find information.

When I opened the throttle it seemed like it took a little while to increase the revs, and then they would jump to about 3,000 or so. Maybe that is just how these bikes respond to the throttle. My Suzuki Marauder would go up with the throttle pretty evenly. I did notice that the GW carbs have an accelerator pump, so maybe that is when the pump kicks in when the revs jump up? I guess if it ain't broke I don't need to try and fix it.

Take care,

Dennis

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”