Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
T Brandstetter
Motorcycle: 1994GL Aspencade 1500
Trike

Postby T Brandstetter » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Hey; I am new to this site. Having some problems navigating site. Have recently purchased a 1982 Aspencade "project bike". Any suggestions before I try to start it 1st time would be helpful! Thanks; T

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: new member

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Hey welcome, I think most the guy's would agree to change your timing belts asap, if they are old or if they break because of age you could damage engine parts like valves being bent, it's not good..Sometimes they look good but looks can fool you..You can find them at Napa.. I'd look at the spark plugs, they will tell you a lot. if one is oily your valve seals are probably leaky. I'd change your fuel filter and check your fuel tank and make sure it's clean..I'd take the carbs off and soak the jets in carb cleaner and measure the float heights or just buy a kit and change out everything before I do any starting I would clean up every electrical connection, I'd check the plug that comes out of the stator three yellow wires plug, solder them if the plug is burnt, I'd check your regulator, with a multimeter, make sure its functioning proper. I'd remove the rearwheel, swingarm at the pulse generator, and check the vacuum advance, and mechanical advance, the mechanical can have broken springs and can be rusty, needs to be cleaned up and oiled or lightly greased, make sure the vacuum advance is functioning proper, pump up with a mitty vac or hand pump with a gauge on it and make sure it's holding vacuum, these units will fool you because they bleed down after you pump it up to the correct settings which should be 3.2hg on the gauge then stops at that point if it leaks from that point you have a leaky canister or diaphragm inside the canister, you also could lose air at the end cap of the set screw on the rear of the cansiter, it needs to be sealed..[epoxy ] I use jb weld to seal it, stick a spitball in first so it doesn't dribble down inside the canister. Sometimes the base plate to the vac advance unit is stuck due to rust, theres ball bearings in the back side of the baseplate, all that comes out or apart and its easy to clean up , it should be cleaned up and be able to pivot back and forth freely, lighty grease..Be sure you clean the ground at the frame bolt from the battery connection [most important]..Set your valves when cold, change your air filter. Do all of this then you might try to start it, oh, make sure oil is in it.. ya clean oil for sure ha ha..There that should keep you busy for a time.. Buy yourself a extra clutch cable and keep it in you bag. I would bet your bike will run proper for a spell..Oh, let it idle for a time and try getting it hot to make sure the fan switch kicks on and is operating proper, it should go on over half before 3/4 on gauge..I'm no expert but these are some of the things I have learned..There are much more qualified folks on this site other than me.. and change out all your fuses too..Well.... You asked..ha ha I hope you enjoyed my summary I sure did..More like a book... :lol:

HondaVTXer
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby HondaVTXer » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Also, if the bike has been setting up a long time, you may find that the carb jets are plugged up due to old fuel residue.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:07 am

go here and read..read read.. http://www.randakks.com/TechTip24.htm this is best site on the web for info on Goldwings read his whole site you'll see what I mean..this article says for 1000 but it's the same for 1100's not much different except for electronic ignition and a few setting valves etc. Also lots of How to's on the http://www.ngwclub.com site and the How to on this site are all really good..check the top banner here for the How To's

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”