Rear Brake Bleeding

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Rear Brake Bleeding

Postby brewman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:57 pm

I have an '82' GL 1100 and just rebuilt rear brake caliper,when I bled the system I noticed air bubbles coming up into my reservoir when I pumped the brake pedal and the fluid got dirty in the reservoir,could it be the master cylinder is bad? I've bled about 5 or 6 reservoirs of brake fluid through it already. I never seen this kind of thing happen before.Any ideas would be helpful,thanks.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rear Brake Bleeding

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:54 am

You need to flush your brake fluid.

It can be normal for bubbles to migrate up to the reservoir. If air is in the lines, when the brake is pumped, it can compress the air bubbles so that they fit through into the master cylinder, and when the brake is released, they move up into the reservoir.

The fact that you're seeing dirty fluid means you've got dirty fluid in your brake system. If you don't have a Mity-Vac yet, now is the time to purchase one. You'll never believe how easy it is to bleed your brakes! Just connect it to your rear brake caliper bleed screw, start pumping the Mity-Vac, and keep the reservoir filled with clean brake fluid as you pump. You can also give the rear brake a pump or two to make sure all of the fluid in the master cylinder gets sent downstream. Once you've got clean fluid coming out of the caliper, and while the Mity-Vac is still attached and drawing vacuum, tighten the bleed screw, and you're done - flushed the system with clean fluid, AND bled the brakes as well.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”