Battery Types

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Battery Types

Postby cbach1981 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:11 am

Hey all, hope everyone is safely recovering from their New Years celebrations.

Anyway, I'm needing to replace my battery this year and was thinking of going with the gel style. Anyone use one? Would like an opinion or two before I shell out the $$$ for it. Any other types I should consider other than the standard wet cell they sell everywhere? My last one lasted approximately 1 year. That's what I get for buying a wal-mart special.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Battery Types

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:39 am

That's a surprise. WalMart's usually better than that!!!!! I would suggest you check your charging system, make sure it is working properly!
Whatever you choose, also get a Battery maintainer, such as Battery Tender, and plug it in when ever you park your bike!
NOT a charger or trikle type but a true "Maintainer".

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:21 am

The AGM type batteries are generally considered the best available. However they are very pricey. I also use Wal-Mart batteries and have been happy with them. If you keep them serviced and on a tender they should last 3 to 4 years without problems.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:48 pm

I use NAPA batteries, which are relatively inexpensive (around $75) - however I had them only last a year before dying, which got expensive. I had them on a "float charger" all winter long, which turned out to be the problem.

I threw away the cheap float charger and instead bought a $25 "Battery Tender Jr.". I installed the wiring in the bike, so I can plug the bike in whenever it's parked, and I also leave it on all winter long. The end result? The exact same NAPA battery that used to last me one year, has now lasted me three years and counting - and it still starts the bike as if the battery was brand new (i.e. I just barely touch the starter and the bike has started).

So while the AGM gel cells may be excellent batteries, and if I were going to be riding over extremely bumpy dirt roads (i.e. Alaska), I'd definitely get one, but for everyday riding on the 1100, I think they're a bit of expensive overkill.

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby cbach1981 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I have always used walmart batteries and my last one lasted nearly 6 years. Impressive considering the hell I put it thru. Never removed from bike in winter, never on a maintainer either. I could park in November and let my old cb750 set out in the Maine snow till April or May and it would fire right up. Maybe I got a bad battery this time around, but my local Wally World has stopped carrying the battery for this bike. Might just pick one up at the local parts store, they've got them for the same price as walmart did.
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

bigguy
Motorcycle: 1982 Aspencade

Postby bigguy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:06 am

I have a gel battery in my 82. It was new when I bought the bike 4 years ago. It fires the bike up like crazy, and even if the bike sits for weeks, it fires it right up. I've had wet cell batteries for years, they couldn't do that

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”