How to Make a Stripped Down Interstate street legal?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tonyincny
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate

How to Make a Stripped Down Interstate street legal?

Postby tonyincny » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:49 pm

I recently acquired a 1982 Goldwing Interstate. Since I don't know how it has been maintained over the years, I am in the process of removing all the fairing and add-ons so I can give the bike a thorough inspection.

As I removed the two hard saddlebags, I had to detach the tail-lights from the bags. Now, how do I mount the tail-lights so the bike will still be street legal? Will I have to replace the Interstate tail-lights with tail-lights from a Standard model? Can I use those trailer light kits that are sold at Harbor Freight for temporary lighting?

Ordinarily, I suppose I could attach them to the chrome saddlebag holders but I want to remove EVERYTHING so any maintenance can be done relatively easily.

I have to admit that stripping down a bike is a great way to learn about the bike. I hope I can remember where everything goes and how it mounts again.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to Make a Stripped Down Interstate street legal?

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:49 pm

You can fit some standard turn signal posts - even some generic turn signals will work, if you can find a way of fitting them. I've seen people use Standard turn signals, as well as any of the thousands of aftermarket turn signals available out there.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:01 am

Some states don't require turn signals to be street legal..but do require rear view mirrors and visa-versa. so check with your state. That said any light will likely meet the standards for turn signals but if you need them you'll probably need front and back. Getting a standard taillight assembly from eBay is probably your best bet..cheapest anyway. As to front, finding ears for the front signals and a headlight is tough not many around..but there are generic aftermarket headlights and turn signals ears that can be made to fit the GL1100 once the fairing is removed.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

goldtr6c
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Postby goldtr6c » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:42 am

if the stock rear fender is still on the bike, thats where the tail light should mount up. The rear fender is just a bit shorter and sportier on the naked standard model and longer on the Interstate and Aspy. The longer verion has two bolts near the tail light so you can remove the bottom half for wheel removal.

Arnold
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Arnold » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:23 am

[i] I have gone through the same process, stripping down my 1981 GL1100 either to fix things or to clean it. My fairing was all cracked up on the right side, so I got a plasting welding kit from Harbor Freight for $15 and tried to seal the cracks. I filled part of the interior with expanding foam to make it more solid. I liked its appearance better without the lower fairings. I painted it red and added checkerboard tape. I removed the gas tank and shook bbs through it to remove the rust that was clogging my idle jets, put on a new fuel filter. I've had the carbs out twice to clean them. My rear turn signals are from an older wing and came with the bike from its previous owner.
Attachments

tonyincny

Postby tonyincny » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 am

Hi Goldtr6c -

You're right, I never noticed the extension on the rear fender. So the turn signals mount on the two screws holding the fender extension on? It sure looks higher on the next poster's picture ( Arnold ). As if they were mounted on the license plate bracket. Let's ask him to see how they are mounted on his bike.

ARNOLD - at first I cringed when you mentioned checkered tape but that really came out great, didn't it? I got two questions for you -

Where are your turn signals mounted - on the fender or on the license plate bracket?
What is bbs that you sloshed around in your gas tank?

Thanks,
Tony

Arnold

Postby Arnold » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:02 pm

The turn signals are mounted on a 7/8-inch steel pipe welded to the license plate bracket. It was made that way, probably off an early standard gold wing, as I have seen the same shape taillight lens on those standards. The bracket is grounded to the frame, so just a single wire goes to each turn signal. When I convert to the stock plastic saddlebags, a ground wire is included since the turn signals integrated into the saddle bags have no ground of their own.
the bee-bees I used are little steel pellets shot from bb guns. I had a pack of 500 zinc-coated bbs and used about 300 of them to slosh around in the tank with a little gas, then lemon juice, until all most of the loose rust came out. It was a messy ordeal.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Arnold wrote:[i] I have gone through the same process, stripping down my 1981 GL1100 either to fix things or to clean it. My fairing was all cracked up on the right side, so I got a plasting welding kit from Harbor Freight for $15 and tried to seal the cracks. I filled part of the interior with expanding foam to make it more solid. I liked its appearance better without the lower fairings. I painted it red and added checkerboard tape. I removed the gas tank and shook bbs through it to remove the rust that was clogging my idle jets, put on a new fuel filter. I've had the carbs out twice to clean them. My rear turn signals are from an older wing and came with the bike from its previous owner.

All the plastic on all Goldwings is ABS, and this is exceedingly easy to fix and reinforce. Have a read through this thread: How to add a trunk rack to your bike for instructions on reinforcing. For simple fixing/reinforcing of cracks, you can make an ABS slurry from ABS pipe shavings and ABS cement. Work the slurry into the cracks and when it cures it will bond and become part of the original ABS - which means it is just as strong as the original fairing. The more slurry you slop on there, the thicker the resultant plastic will be, and the stronger the piece will end up.

tonyincny

Postby tonyincny » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Ooooh, bb's. I thought bbs was a short term like mmo for Marvel Mystery Oil.

It's too cold for me to go and take another look but my gas tank looks as if it is made from plastic. That wouldn't have the corrosion problems that a metal tank might have, would it?

Brrrrr - I had to go and look. It is a metal gas tank that is painted black. It looked like plastic in the dim light. I guess that is another thing I should check. The gas filter should give me a clue as to the condition of the gas tank. I should also check the strainer on the fuel shutoff valve.

I have been reading the service manual as I strip down the bike. One thing that caught my eye was something called a "steering weight". I haven't found a picture for it, yet. But, it sounds like something that could affect my front end and cause a wobble. Especially if it was missing.

I found a guy on Craig's List who lives nearby and has a bunch of Goldwing parts. I sent him an email and asked about rear turn signals but he hasn't responded yet. His ad was a couple weeks old. So, if he hasn't received any inquiries so far then he may not check his email too often.

I just replaced the wick in my kerosene heater so maybe I can spend a bit more time out in the garage on these cold days. I sure got spoiled with those 50 degree days. That was practically t-shirt and shorts weather.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:08 pm

The gas tank is steel, and it's not coated on the inside, so if it's left unfilled for any length of time (i.e. over winter), it can rust. You can check the condition of the filter, but you might want to just open the filler neck and shine a light down inside to check the condition of the inside.

The steering weight is hung on the front of the forks when the fairing is installed, and is the piece with the "Warning" sticker on the front of it:

GL1100 fairing weight
GL1100 fairing weight

Fairing weight warning sticker
Fairing weight warning sticker

tonyincny

Postby tonyincny » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks Admin -

I braved the cold again. My curiosity had to know if I had the steering weight in place and I do. That's a relief. Should I remove the weight if I drive around without the fairing? Or, is it okay to just leave it in place?

It seems like something that is used to counteract the wind resistance on the fairing but if there is no fairing then there is no harm in its' presence.

I looked into the gas tank filler. I could see the shutoff screen and it seemed okay. Although there was a reddish tint which probably indicates some rust.

If I want to see the rest of the tank I guess I will have to remove the float assembly. That will give me something to lookup in the service manual tonight - how to remove the gas tank float assembly.

Thanks again.

Arnold

Postby Arnold » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:15 am

the best way to see the interior of the tank is to remove the circular stopper on top of the tank that holds the fuel gauge sender. This is easily done with a few taps of a hammer on a flathead screwdriver on the tangs of the circular stopper. Shine a flashlight in there and you can see the very bottom of the tank where all the rust particles collect. Mine looked like someone had thrown in a couple handfuls of sand in there. You can see the two long fuel tubes that go from the petcock to the strainers. One strainer is halfway down the tank, the other is at the very bottom and feeds the reserve setting. You will notice that these are coarse screens, that's why an additional fuel filter is needed.
You should shut off your kerosene heater while working on the fuel system. Vapors from an open gas tank can travel across the floor and reach the flame of your heater, then suddenly carry the flame back to the bike. Boom! :o

tonyincny

Postby tonyincny » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:09 am

Hi Arnold -

That's probably pretty good advice about shutting off the kerosene heater while working of the gas tank. BUT, it's really, really cold out there. It seems like I have one of those oil-filled electric radiators somewhere. That should be a safer alternative to supply heat for a while.

After you sloshed around the bb's, did you coat the interior of your gas tank to prevent rust from reforming? I think there is a specific product made just for that purpose and sold in auto parts stores.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:46 am

Arnold wrote:the best way to see the interior of the tank is to remove the circular stopper on top of the tank that holds the fuel gauge sender. This is easily done with a few taps of a hammer on a flathead screwdriver on the tangs of the circular stopper. Shine a flashlight in there and you can see the very bottom of the tank where all the rust particles collect. Mine looked like someone had thrown in a couple handfuls of sand in there. You can see the two long fuel tubes that go from the petcock to the strainers. One strainer is halfway down the tank, the other is at the very bottom and feeds the reserve setting. You will notice that these are coarse screens, that's why an additional fuel filter is needed.
You should shut off your kerosene heater while working on the fuel system. Vapors from an open gas tank can travel across the floor and reach the flame of your heater, then suddenly carry the flame back to the bike. Boom! :o

I was going to mention that, but I know that I've more than once destroyed one of those retaining rings when they were corroded or old by attempting to remove it. If he's going to go ahead with the electrolysis, he'll have to do it through that port, but if he's just taking a peek, down the filler pipe can do just fine.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:50 am

tonyincny wrote:After you sloshed around the bb's, did you coat the interior of your gas tank to prevent rust from reforming? I think there is a specific product made just for that purpose and sold in auto parts stores.

If you're talking about Kreem, don't do it! I have heard nothing but bad experiences with this stuff - it eventually flakes off and clogs your fuel system, causing more teardowns.

I could write a bunch on this, but Randakk has already done it, so I'll just refer you to his page: Fuel Tank Service - Don't Get "Kreemed!"

Arnold

Postby Arnold » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:51 pm

After I was done with the bb's, I felt the tank looked satisfactory inside, though there were still tiny, tiny rust speckles over half the interior. I have read many posts critical of Kreem and other red paints applied because they may come off and clog everything. I've read about electrolysis on some posts, but elected not to do it. The simplest post I read for changing the chemistry inside the tank is to fill it with white vinegar as the mild acid in it changes the rust to something inert. There is a post on this site where a guy let his tank soak in vinegar for 13 days and was very satisfied with the result.

tonyincny

Postby tonyincny » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks fellas - as usual, it is all great advice.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”