Installing Running Lights

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Installing Running Lights

Postby MJSantos » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Okay, WingAdmin blew my theory away over on another site. Here's what i intended to do. I'm building a slightly modified '83 Interstate for the wife. She doesn't want the fairing so it will look like a Standard with the hard Hondaline Bags on the back without the trunk, fair enough. So far on the front I built a Light bar and hanging on it will be LED running lights and the blinkers right below them. Then we'll install a windshield.
I was going to do was use a relay for the running lights and use one of the running light leads from the original harness as the control for it. Based on what WingAdmin said the problem would be that everytime she uses her blinkers they would turn off, no good. I want to stay away from installing a switch because it could lead to leaving them on killing the battery. The placement option for a switch, handle bars, ugly or inside the false tank, hard to get too and again leaves the possibility of leaving them on. Power the relay from the Accessory fuse output? But not sure if this is turned off during start like the headlight, any ideas?

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Installing Running Lights

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:55 pm

You should be able to run them from the Acc terminal of the fuse block. The LEDs draw so little power that they wont be a factor in taking power from the starter.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:34 am

MJSantos wrote:Okay, WingAdmin blew my theory away over on another site. Here's what i intended to do. I'm building a slightly modified '83 Interstate for the wife. She doesn't want the fairing so it will look like a Standard with the hard Hondaline Bags on the back without the trunk, fair enough. So far on the front I built a Light bar and hanging on it will be LED running lights and the blinkers right below them. Then we'll install a windshield.
I was going to do was use a relay for the running lights and use one of the running light leads from the original harness as the control for it. Based on what WingAdmin said the problem would be that everytime she uses her blinkers they would turn off, no good. I want to stay away from installing a switch because it could lead to leaving them on killing the battery. The placement option for a switch, handle bars, ugly or inside the false tank, hard to get too and again leaves the possibility of leaving them on. Power the relay from the Accessory fuse output? But not sure if this is turned off during start like the headlight, any ideas?

Only the FRONT running lights get turned off when the turn signals are used, because the front turn signals are also running lights.

Why go through all the trouble of trying to use a relay for the running lights? Why not just wire them directly into the existing harness, the way they're currently wired? The front signals currently have two circuits - a running light circuit, and a turn signal circuit. Just abandon the existing running light circuit, and wire the new front running lights into the "Tail" fuse (that's what they're currently run from now, so it won't hurt to keep them there). By wiring them in there, they will act just like the rear running lights - on when the key switch is on, stay on when turn signals engaged.

When the starter switch is pressed, only the headlight is shut off - everything else stays on.

MJSantos
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about using the tail light circuit. Sounds like the problem is solved.

lewis/ec
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 I (German Style)

Postby lewis/ec » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:09 am

While I don't usually pimp our stuff, we actually make a harness for another light kit that would work for you if you are going to use LED lights.
You unplug your headlight connector, plug in the harness between the bulb and the connector you just unplugged, and it will give you 12 volts anytime the key is on....shuts off power when the key is off. Fused as well. Power is provided regardless if you are on high or low beam.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/dri ... -1watt.htm

http://www.electricalconnection.com/ima ... ess-H4.JPG

MJSantos
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:54 pm

lewis/ec wrote:While I don't usually pimp our stuff, we actually make a harness for another light kit that would work for you if you are going to use LED lights.
You unplug your headlight connector, plug in the harness between the bulb and the connector you just unplugged, and it will give you 12 volts anytime the key is on....shuts off power when the key is off. Fused as well. Power is provided regardless if you are on high or low beam.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/dri ... -1watt.htm

http://www.electricalconnection.com/ima ... ess-H4.JPG

Thanks for the info.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”