AM radio works but FM doesnt

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
jap4lvr
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

AM radio works but FM doesnt

Postby jap4lvr » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:55 pm

I just got an 83 Aspencade and it has a few little issues.
One of them is that the radio isnt working 100%.
AM stations come in just fine but FM is completely dead. Not even static.
The previous owner said it worked when he went to work and when he got on the bike to go home it didnt.
Is the CB antenna and the radio antenna combined on these bikes? The CB antenna is broken in half but the PO said it had always been that way so I am guessing that is not the problem.
Is there something I should check? Do you think there is just something internally wrong with the radio?
Thanks for the help guys.

CapnDenny1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Re: AM radio works but FM doesnt

Postby CapnDenny1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:56 am

I don't know much about Goldwings, but electronics and I'm your guy. FM radio needs the antenna a lot more than the AM does. You can usually pick up am with little or no antenna depending on the strength of the station. But FM you need some kind of antenna. I would start with replacing the antenna. A CB antenna is different, but for just the radio you could use any cheap auto antenna just to check it out. You don't want to run the CB without a working antenna. It could damage the power amp. I would start with replacing the antenna and then go from there. Besides, you can't riding around with a brokenm antenna. What would people think?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:51 am

Yup...when I snapped my antenna in half, by breaking the load coil (note: ensure bike is parked far enough in the garage so that the antenna has clearance and won't catch on the garage door as it is closing), I suddenly lost all FM signals, even though I still had half an antenna left. I could receive AM, but weaker than I did before.

The radio and the CB share the same antenna. The radio and CB tuner boxes have coax leads that run to a splitter box that is directly underneath the left storage cubby (or cassette deck, if you have one installed) in the fairing. From there, a single coax runs to the antenna.

I replaced my antenna with this one, and everything worked great again.

jap4lvr
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby jap4lvr » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:31 pm

Ok well this all makes sense. Yea my AM is pretty weak. I still have the load coil. It is broken off right above that so I might be able to find just the top part.
I was just confused because the PO said it worked before with the antenna like that but I guess you cant believe everything you hear.
I know not to key up the CB without the antenna. I dont have a headset yet anyways so that part will wait.
Is there any benefit to running 2 antennas? Keeping AM/FM to one and CB to the other. To the best of my knowledge this is the preferred way on pickups and such. I was thinking of running an antenna on both sides.

CapnDenny1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby CapnDenny1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Other than the cool factor I don't think you will get any better reception with a second antenna. Although you will need the splitter and that usally has some loss. Not enough to make a difference unless you are way out in the boonies. But who would ride a motorcycle way out of town? ;-)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”