Hydrolock? Gas filled carbs & possibly pistons etc

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
happycat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Hydrolock? Gas filled carbs & possibly pistons etc

Postby happycat » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:58 pm

When I went to turn the petcock off the other night ( I have to turn it off when not in use), I turned it too far and it was in the reserve position. The carbs were dripping gas when I came out to ride the next day, and when I tried to start, it wouldn't turn over. Turned the gas off over night and tried again in the am. No luck, just ER...like the motor was extra hard to turn over. I talked to the guy at my local kawaski dealer and he said it sounded like hydrolock. He thought the gas might have gotten in to the pistons (preventing them from moving) and possibly the crank case. He suggested I change the oil. I drained the oil, but it still doesn't want to crank. I'm leaving it to breathe overnight with the drain plug and filter cover off. Anybody ever deal with this? Any suggestions or advice? I've never had a problem with this bike not starting, but of course, I've never left the gas on overnight either.....
Thanks,
Ed

jap4lvr
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Hydrolock? Gas filled carbs & possibly pistons etc

Postby jap4lvr » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:05 am

I would pull all the spark plugs and crank her over a few times. If there is any fuel sitting on top of the pistons that will get it out.

happycat

Postby happycat » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks! I was actually thinking along those lines. Was going to remove plugs so the gas could evaporate, but turning it over whould sure speed the process up. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it tonight when I get home.
Ed

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:06 am

WAIT!!!!!!!!

VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Turn OFF the engine kill switch on your right handlebar before you do this!! MAKE SURE it is turned off!

Otherwise, you will have extremely flammable aerosol gasoline spraying out of the spark plug holes, which can then be ignited by the sparks from the plugs/boots you have just removed, resulting in an enormous explosion and fire!

Remove the plugs, move the bike outside, turn the ignition switch off, make sure there are no sources of ignition around, and THEN give it a crank. You might want to drape some towels on top of the spark plug holes, both to catch the gasoline sprayed out, as well as to keep any foreign matter from falling into the cylinders.

jap4lvr
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby jap4lvr » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:04 pm

Will this bike even crank with the ignition switch turned to off? None of my previous bikes have.
I forgot to mention that though. I always make sure my plug wire caps are not anywhere near something that they can ground against.
And dont hold the wires with your hands while your crank. If you have a leak in your wire somewhere and you are touching a ground with another part of your body the result will really wake you up.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:10 pm

jap4lvr wrote:Will this bike even crank with the ignition switch turned to off? None of my previous bikes have.
I forgot to mention that though. I always make sure my plug wire caps are not anywhere near something that they can ground against.
And dont hold the wires with your hands while your crank. If you have a leak in your wire somewhere and you are touching a ground with another part of your body the result will really wake you up.

Yes, it will crank - the ignition switch (and I don't mean the key switch, I mean the orange switch on the right handlebar) turns the coils off only.

happycat

Postby happycat » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:46 am

THANK YOU FOR THE WARNING!!! I feel kind of bad I haven't replied sooner. Hope I didn't worry you too much WingAdmin. I checked with the dealer Fri before I tried this and he gave me the same warning. I took the advice, and the bike is back on the road (with a new oil change). Seems to be running fine.
Now that the wing is up, I'm focusing on the V45 Sabre I picked up Sat night. Been sitting for five years with gas in it. I'm in the process of trying to remove the carbs so I can clean them. Man what a bitch. I'm going to be looking for some kind of tutorial on that now. If you know where to look, please let me know. Again, thanks for the advice (jap4lvr) and the warning (WingAdmin).
Ed

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”