RPM Cable reconnect at the fuel pump

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
jimbest
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

RPM Cable reconnect at the fuel pump

Postby jimbest » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:20 pm

Can anyone tell me how to reconnect the RPM cable to my fuel pump....my old seal was leaking oil, but when I took it out, it fell apart. Got a new one, but I cannot get the end of the cable into the fuel pump to place the bolt back in. So I have two questions:

1). The seal that I need to replace, does the side that has a channel in it install with it up or down and
2). how do I push the cable end in far enough to get the bolt through...what technique do I use?

Jim

billd5string

Re: RPM Cable reconnect at the fuel pump

Postby billd5string » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:29 pm

I just did this last weekend to replace my tach cable. I didn't have to pull the fuel pump all the way off, so I can't help with how the internals went back together, but I found that the pump bolt had to be completely out of the housing, and there is a little slot in the tach drive shaft that has to line up with the cable. In my case, I had to twist the cable inside the cable housing a few times to get it to line up with the shaft coming out of the fuel pump housing, but once it did, then it slid in pretty easily.

I hope that helps.
Bill
1980 GL1100 Standard

jimbest

Re: RPM Cable reconnect at the fuel pump

Postby jimbest » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:17 am

Thank you much....thought I had it in the slot, but I will recheck that one and try again....thank you for the response,

Jim

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”