Brand new today - Fuel and temp gauge issues

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Filmcarp
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Brand new today - Fuel and temp gauge issues

Postby Filmcarp » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:19 pm

Hello all. This looks like a great forum. Today I picked up my new 82 aspencade. I think it was a great deal for everyone. The bike looks great, appears to run well, and has only a few issues. The seller found it in a garage. It has only 10,500 miles. He rebuilt the carbs and replaced water jacket gaskets, and put in a new fuel tank and tires, and all of the fluids. He put about 500 miles on it but didn't like it. I rode it home up the parkway at 60-75 mph for 70 miles, and grinned the whole time. Two issues: the temp gauge read very low until I got off the interstate, and then quickly climbed to dead center in the normal range. The fuel gauge read low in the reserve. He told me the tank was full, but about 60 miles in it acted like it was running dry so I rolled it to reserve and it came right back. When I got home I opened the fuel cap and there was a big hiss of pressure. Where should I look for a clogged vent, or what should I look for? Thanks, sorry for the long post. I'll add some pictures soon.

Filmcarp

Re: Brand new today - Fuel and temp gauge issues

Postby Filmcarp » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:40 pm

A follow up: I put 4 gallons in, so I guess he mislead me about "full". After a very short distance, the gauge jumped to 3/4 full. Then, for the next 5 miles or so it moved around between empty and full, spending most of the time near 3/4. The temp gauge was low/normal, but the volt meter I think was inaccurate, showing too much charge and too steady a rate for low speed around town stuff.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:58 am

Here's some good news for you: The problem you have has nothing to do with coolant, fuel, or anything else. It's caused by a faulty 7 volt regulator, which runs both the fuel and temperature gauges. It's a well-known failure item on these old bikes, and it's relatively easy to fix.

Here is what you need: Replacement 7 volt regulator

You should probably fix this sooner rather than later, as when it does fail, it commonly fails open, sending 12 volts directly to your fuel and temp gauges, which will damage them permanently.

I had a look at the pictures of your bike that you posted here and it looks like a real beauty.

Do you know how recently the timing belts were changed? If not, then it's time to do them now.

Filmcarp

Postby Filmcarp » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:20 am

Thanks. I just ordered one. Is that your product? My symptoms were not identical to those described in the ad, but I'm happy to give it a shot. Any links to timing belt replacement guides?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Yup, it's my product. I decided to make it after I made one for my own bike, and had a lot of people clamoring to make one for them as well. :)

I haven't created a timing belt DIY yet (mine will be due in another 10,000 miles or so, I'll make one then), but I found this one which is quite good.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”